Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Sky Watching

The sky has been really beautiful lately.  It rained heavily this morning but eventually cleared up and the size and shape of the clouds this afternoon could have kept me occupied for most of the day.  The "off-an-on" weather will continue throughout the week but it's cooler so I like it.

In the late afternoon I like to  look at the sky, especially when the sun is descending over the Pacific.  I've noticed that a short while back it was visible on the left side (south)  of my double doors which faces west.  The sun slowly moves so that every evening it came into full view as it goes down, but it seems to be moving north little by little.   (In my own words, it's now coming down in the middle of my double storm door!) If anyone can understand what I'm describing, I'd appreciate it if you would tell me what is happening.  It seems to be moving north every day.  I assume the rotation of the earth has something to do with it, but I sure can't quite wrap my head around it.  I've seen several youtube videos about the tilt of the earth changing, and wonder if that has anything to do with where I see the sun going down.  I'm too old to be worrying about things like this, but even in my younger years I've been interested in the sky, especially the night-time sky, but my brain just can't quite get it!

I decided to cut down (or off) drinking milk, which I only put in cereal and certain recipes.  I've never been a milk drinker in my life, and I think the amount I'm using in cereal, is causing my stomach to ache.  I ended up buying just a quart today at the grocery, along with my half-and-half, which never bothers me.  For getting so few items I was shocked at the cash register.  Everything is going up, and it's going up everywhere!

It's been in the mid-50's today and will be for the rest of the week.  I'm surprised it doesn't feel colder.  I remember in the past year or two I've always been cold and wore a warm jacket in the house as well as when I went out.  Since my treatment for lymphoma I have noticed I don't feel as cold as I used to.   I hope I can take that as a good sign!

Speaking of sign, I will sign off now.  I hope you are all staying well and also warm, especially those of you in the northern and eastern states.

8 comments:

  1. Because of the tilt of the earth, as it circles the sun, it appears that the sun moves from the Tropic of Cancer (at 23.5 degrees latitude north) to the Tropic of Capricorn (at 23.5 degrees latitude south). Therefore, as the Earth rotates the sun, it appears that the sun moves north in our summer and south in our winter. No, the earth doesn't wobble 47 degrees, it just appears that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you could do a video demonstrating this action. You could use apples, oranges, maybe even a round watermelon (the sun). Then you could show it on your blog. I'm using my finger to make circles in the air to match what you've written. Thanks for your explanation!

      Delete
    2. Gypsy, there are plenty of videos on the internet. I suggest that you search for "Earth Sun Relationship" and look at several of them. Some postings explain it quite well.

      Delete
    3. I will do that, but I think you usually explain things in a very clear manner that I understand (most of the time, haha!

      Delete
  2. I suspect that your anemia is what was making you feel cold so if they have that under control that might explain it. We're having the on and off weather too, 38 at night and 70's during the day. They also announced that this area has the highest pollen count in the country and I can believe it. I'm miserable and I've never had allergies until we started full timing. My eyes burn and itch all the time. I hate it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had allergies in the springtime as soon as I moved to CA. Right now some of our flowering trees are blooming, but maybe because of the rain, the pollen is being kept in check? I don't know what it is but I'm fine with it.

      I figured the fact that I was quite as cold has something to do with the treatments for cancer. I sure hope it continues.

      Delete
  3. I wish we could get your rain! I am enjoying the nice weather in the 70's as I know the heat will soon descend upon us :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I complain about the rain sometimes, but actually I like it. For one thing, the dog park across the street is empty when it's wet. When I say "across the street", it is exactly what I mean. The opposite curb is where the dog park starts. Ca you imagine 10 or 12 little dogs in a small space twice a day. They bark constantly! So bring on the rain.

      Delete