Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Finally, a visit to the gym

After an absence of probably two months I finally went to the gym this morning.  I decided I'd better not overdo it so I only walked a mile on the treadmill.  I had originally planned to do a short workout, but again, didn't want to overdo it.  I followed the walk with a session on the hydromassage bed and came back home.  I'm expecting some sore muscles.  Another thing I've missed is the scale at the gym - I weigh about 4# more on it than I do on the one in my doctor's office.  I somehow feel healthier seeing 126 rather than 122! 

Yesterday was so much fun for me - I had told my son Joe that I wanted to make shepherd's pie.  First of all, to the readers in the U.K., yes I know shepherd's pie is supposed to be made with ground lamb.  Here in the U.S. we usually make it with ground beef, but I'm still going to call it shepherd's pie and not cottage pie! 

I mentioned it to Joe and he offered to come by and help me make it, or at least give it a taste test.  Of course I was happy about that, and I got everything out and did most of the preps before he arrived.  I was so lucky that he did everything from then on, and I had enough for him to make two large pies (casseroles).  I had him take one home.  I ate half of mine last night, and most of the 2nd half today for lunch.  I saved a little bit for when I need a snack.  I didn't pay much attention to what he was pulling out of my spice cabinet so I'm not sure  what all he used, but it tasted better than any shepherd's pie I've ever made!  It really makes me happy when my kids outdo me, which is happening more and more these days.  I figure I've taught them well. 

That's about all I have done lately, and I'm a pretty happy camper!

6 comments:

  1. So glad to hear you felt up to going to the gym! Shepherds pie, yummy! I only make it with beef! Still have my cold and its been 2 weeks! Your kids are all so good to you, you raised them well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you can shake that cold. That is what has worried me for the last month or so, and that's why I've mostly isolated myself. My kids have been exceptionally good to me, and sometimes I can't believe my good luck.

      Delete
  2. I have said it before but it's worth repeating...I so admire your workout ethic! Glad your Shepherd's pie turn out yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you! I love going to the gym but it's much better when I go on a regular basis. I'm going to try to at least walk in my neighborhood when I can't get to the gym. The shepherd's pie was absolutely delicious!

      Delete
  3. I love shepherd pie made with beef (not a lamb fan). Hope you're not too sore today. It takes weeks to get into shape and only a day to lose it all. Glad you're taking it slow. Fantastic that you are feeling so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really feel pretty good today. As far as lamb goes, I never thought I liked it until I lived in Ireland. There is something about the grass there that makes the meat taste so much better. You should taste the beef1 When my kids came to visit they couldn't believe the difference in the taste of ground beef! I don't know what they do now, but when I lived there I don't think they used any chemical fertilizers, but that was out in the boonies and it may have been different on large scale farms elsewhere (if there are any large-scale farms in Ireland). I think that is what I loved most about Ireland - everything was pretty much local.

      Delete