Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Something took over me!

I don't mind saying that I am not big on housekeeping, and many people would agree that I've become quite lazy in my old age.  

Yesterday evening I watched a number of    youtube videos including 3 or 4 on cleaning an oven.  All were fairly similar (3 videos were made by women, and 1 was a man) and I decided to try it.  So before going to bed I mixed up some baking soda and water, and spread it all over my oven, bottom and sides.  I couldn't really do the top of the oven as it is electric and there are elec. elements I didn't want to work around.

First thing when I got up this morning I went to the oven and started cleaning off the soda/water mix, and then sprayed the surfaces with vinegar.  I expected to find a bright shiny oven but it wasn't like that.  I had to scrub a little bit and there are still a lot of little burned on grease spatters that remain.  It was difficult getting around the electric elements and connections inside the oven and I just tried to work around them.

It took a long time to get all that baking soda mixture out, and there is probably still some hidden in corners, nooks and crannies.  The oven looks fine to me but it took a bit of elbow grease and a lot of fussing with it to get it cleaned out this much.  I will live with the spatters that are left and they certainly won't bother me.  I might add that my oven wasn't nearly as dirty as the youtubers' ovens were, but I only bake in it, usually a fish filet, or maybe warm up some dinner rolls.   I don't have a clue how it got to be as soiled as it was.  Also, the youtubers all had gas ranges and it seemed to be much easier for them to get at the grime.  Almost all the youtubers said they will follow up with a chemical oven cleaner to get rid of the remaining spatters.

It was an experiment and I probably won't do it again.  Maybe I should quit watching so much youtube so I don't start these projects in the first place.  If I had TV I would be watching a lot worse!

About an hour ago I heard something electric being used near my house that sounded like a leaf blower.  It turns out my neighbor took care of all his leaves and then did my driveway and in the front of the house.   I couldn't ask for better neighbors! 

I may need a nap today to compensate for my oven cleaning spree at 8am this morning.

6 comments:

  1. I hope you told your neighbor how much you appreciated him doing that for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use my little convection/toaster oven and the big one stays clean.


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't use it enough to worry about it - don't know how it got so dirty because I shouldn't be getting spatters, but I did.

      Delete
  3. Oh my, oven cleaning at 8am, I'd be finished for the day. I think I don't even see my oven when I use it. Now you've made think I'd better take a look. What nice neighbors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have more energy than I do at that early morning hour or any hour for that matter.

    Funny how I too like too watch YouTube videos but in my case I do not follow through :-(

    ReplyDelete