Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Short shopping trip

I drove to B&N to return the radio I bought last week; then went to nearby Best Buy.  They had exactly what I want, well almost exactly.  I still can't read what all the buttons are for, but the radio has dials that actually turn for volume and to tune in a station.  I checked and can get NPR, so I'm satisfied.  It's a miniature boombox, less than half the price of the model I returned.

As I mentioned in a reply to a comment yesterday, I want to reduce my internet connection time although I'm not sure if I can replace it with anything but a Verizon jet pack, like I had several years ago.  I found out from the Park manager than AT&T has a lock on this entire mobile home park (although you can get service from Direct TV and Dish, both of which I understand belong to ATT.  When I cancel my TV service I will see what they can offer me for internet service alone, although they talk around in circles and will probably try to convince me to add services I don't want to get a "bundle price".  It is disgusting to me that businesses can thrive on trickery and outright lies, but many of them do.

You may be wondering how I can drive when I can't see the writing on a piece of paper in front of my nose.  I can say that my vision of the expanse in front of me is still fairly good.  So driving is no problem (yet) although like many older folks I try to limit my driving to times of day with less traffic, stay off the interstates, leave enough space between me and the car in front of me to be able to react if necessary.  I never drive with the radio or CD's playing because I don't want the distraction.  So for now I feel I am ok to drive, but as soon as the situation changes I will turn in my keys.

My work on photo sorting continues.  I have  3 x 5 cards for separating events, periods of time, etc. but they are temporary.  I'm still not happy with anything I've come up with for sorting - strict chronological order doesn't always make sense.  So I'll continue to go through the pictures and group them where I can.  I hope Jeannie can give me her ideas on it.  I will eventually print up a list of categories and sub-sections to make pictures easier to find.  One photo storage box is filled (supposedly holds 1100 photos), and I'm working on the second box, and may have to order another box or two.  I have a number of pictures in albums that I plan to leave intact.  Now I have several empty shoe boxes that formerly held pictures and are too sturdy to just throw away, but I haven't figured out a use for them yet.

7 comments:

  1. Does a magnifier help you at all? I have to use one now to read any small print and sometimes even that doesn't help. Both Jim and I are still okay driving but we try not to drive at night anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have 2 magnifiers but can never find one when I need it. They are okay for seeing a small section but not to read a whole page. This radio I bought today is black with little grey buttons and I can't read what they are to save my life. Who reads grey on a black background? I tell you, I don't think they want older folks to be a functioning part of society, although they are quick to take a cut of our pensions!

      Delete
  2. It is so true that when they design things they never consider the worsening eye sight of those getting older even though we are the largest group of the population I think and a serious part of the consumer economy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to unite, protest, revolt, and boycott those kinds of products. The boycott would show the producers whose money is the biggest part of the economy. The big drawback is that it usually takes young people with fire and energy to organize a movement, and since it doesn't affect them, the oldies are s.o.l.!

      Delete
  3. I may be wrong but AT&T only owns Direct TV not Dish. I have Dish and it is a POS, wish I had never had it installed but we have very few options in this area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Direct TV and Dish are mainly for television and not internet (at least not to my knowledge), I didn't even consider them. I've had Direct TV service in the past and they are as bad as all the others!

      Delete
    2. I have television as well as Internet as a bundle thru Dish. Internet is SLOW as a snail. They have a new product I think it is called the Hooper and is faster internet but would require a new two year contract in order to upgrade to it...I think not!!!

      Delete