Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, June 12, 2016

Day of Rest

In true introvert fashion, I needed the day today to recover from all the activity yesterday.  From the time I got up until now I have done very little, except to fix my meals.

I decided to sit outside on a little patio that isn't very well placed, but from it I can see the oleander, heather, and a few other plants & bushes.  I thought it would be relaxing and it was to an extent, although it wasn't long until I got the clippers and started fooling around with trimming heather.  I don't know if it's even salvageable as the bottom part is all woody and looks awful.  I may just pull most of it up in the fall, saving only a small bit of it.  I have the feeling it will spread and grow bushy again, and I will try to keep up with trimming it.

Reading Sandie's blog, "Where are the Dixons Today", and hearing about Jim's fall reminds me of a gnawing fear I'm noticing lately - that of falling.  I'm not as nimble or graceful as I used to be, and together with a problem in depth perception, I am really afraid I'll miss a step, a small barrier, or anything that might cause me to stumble.  I didn't really feel old until I started thinking about falling.

The photo album I'm working on now contains my baby pictures up through high school, and I'm wondering where did the years go.  I never thought I was pretty - would have settled for "cute" - but from my vantage point now I think I was pretty back in the day!  I wouldn't go back for anything in the world though, because I'd be trading my contentment and joy for insecurity, self-doubt, and all the other feelings that plague teen agers.  I'm grateful for making it this far, and especially for the fact that I can appreciate old age.  I wish I was pretty again though :-)  Nah, just kidding.  Have all those boys chasing me?  (Note:  I wasn't really all that pretty, but "pretty" is such a relative term.)

Speaking of the little patio, I want to get an indoor-outdoor rug to cover the ugly cement.  Someone in the past had painted it green and while most of the paint has come off there are still traces of it.  A carpet, a nice little round patio table and a couple of chairs, and maybe even an umbrella, would make it look much better.  There is not much of a view though, and I wonder how often I would use it.  The sun is on it in the morning, so no coffee on the patio, and it is probably the middle or late afternoon when it's shady enough to enjoy.  There are so many things I would do if I had the money, but there are much more important things to do with money.

8 comments:

  1. It sounds to me like you are a very organized person and a real do'er.
    All your cleaning and discarding prompts me to get with it!
    Kudo's to you !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one time I was an organized person, but not so any more. I do enjoy finding things I don't need and clearing them out. The photo project is a monumental task, and when I have completed that I will be able to sigh with relief. Thanks for your compliments, and I appreciate them very much.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a nice little spot is it behind your house? Maybe just adding some flowers in pots will cheer it up and give you something to look at and enjoy. I picked up a small outdoor rug at Walmart for $40. I think it's a 5x7. Of course now it is so hot here I won't be sitting out there much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I could even do much with that little patio, and as I said, it isn't very well placed. I can probably see it differently when we redo the back yard and get a different kind of rock in there. My son suggests crushed granite which will be an easier surface to walk on and will look much better. You know I'd rather take an extended camping trip!

      Delete
    2. I've had good success finding rugs over the years from overstock.com
      They have good sales and very often free shipping. Also they have a great selection. It is also nice to have things shipped to your front door.

      Delete
    3. I agree it takes less effort to order something online and have it shipped to your door. The problem for me is that I live alone and like to have contact with people once in a while. I have more than enough contact with this computer. I really enjoy going to the grocery, the post office, costco, etc., and just being around other people. I enjoy the check out lines, and have no reason to be in a hurry or fret about the line. I talk to others in the line and exchange small talk with the cashier. I often witness little acts of kindness among the people around me, and that is uplifting. Online shopping and delivery to the door has no attraction to me.

      Delete
  3. Boy I know what you mean about never wanting to go back and be a teenager. There has to be some way to make those 10 years less horrible. Maybe that's when a family should go full timing or take a job teaching English overseas. Get the teens out of their cliques and pressures. Your little patio sounds like a wonderful place to sit and read as long as there isn't constant dog barking. I sure hope your lawn police will start ticketing for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in reincarnation and am adamant I don't want to come back again. I've had it - finished! I wish I could figure out how to say NO when the time comes. I don't give a damn about karma, life reviews, etc., I've been working diligently to try to reduce my faults and be a better person so I don't have to come back to this world!

      Delete