Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, June 3, 2016

Friday musings

I think the heat is melting the electric lines - I just lost my TV service, and the internet has been running slow for a few days now, and getting worse.

I've officially acknowledged summer and got out some white capris to wear today.  Those of you from the east will understand (at least those in my age category) that you never wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day.  Californians don't have rules about those kinds of things.

Do any of you ladies (and perhaps some gents) remember when you were a little kid and got hold of a pair of scissors and cut your hair?  Usually it was the bangs smack dab in the middle of the forehead where it is most noticeable.  I did it at least once as a child, and now I'm at it again as a senior!  I have let my hair grow, partly because I don't have a nearby hairdresser, so I'm trimming my own bangs every week or so.  To tell the truth, they look pretty bad, but when I try to fix them it just makes it worse.  Life goes full circle!

I don't remember Jeannie cutting her hair, but I recall finding Mike and her outside on the back steps, him with the scissors in his hand.  He flashed me a beatific smile and said "I cut her hair.  Isn't it beautiful?"  My inclination was to be furious but he was so darn cute and sincere I probably laughed.  He was probably around 4 at the time, so she would have been 2.  I wonder what makes kids do something like that.

I know the weather has a lot to do with how I feel, but I think there is something else that makes me so lethargic.  I really don't like red meat all that much, but eat fish, vegetables, and chicken once in a while.  In the past when my energy drops really low I start craving a hamburger.  I cook up a pound of ground beef into about 6 small hamburgers, and eat them throughout the day, and that has always been the "cure".  I don't have any ground beef on hand, so I think I will buy some this weekend and see if it helps.  I also notice that I felt better in many ways when I added lemon to my morning glass of water, although I don't have the indigestion that plagued me.  I should try it again for one week on , one week off, and so on, and see if that works. 

The swamp cooler is working valiantly but has a difficult time keeping up with 100+ temperatures.  I have one fan aimed at the kitchen to keep it bearable, and the small personal fan would keep me a little cooler except that it "travels" no matter where I set it or how I prop it up. 

My oldest grandson is Joshua in New York, and he will be 10 tomorow.  Autumn won't be 10 until December.  I can't believe how fast the years go by.

12 comments:

  1. I'm still laughing over your comment today on my post. But your mention of 100+ temperatures is making me swoon. No wonder you feel lethargic although I think it's the humidity that does it to me and you don't have that I don't think. One of the reasons I've never had bangs is that they grow so fast and it is so hard to trim them and have it look OK. Even when my hair was longer I just used clips to keep it back behind my ears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, the pirate. I'd like to rock his boat, haha. Our humidity is around 11 or 12 % with 100+ temps. I know, it's a dry heat, but you can stick your head in an oven which also has dry heat. Hot is hot, no matter how you look at it.

      Delete
  2. Try cutting the amount of lemon you put in the water by half or so. I have to thin most lemonades myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try that and hope it works. I really like the lemon water in the mornings.d

      Delete
  3. My doctor said that my iron was low and to start taking B12 vitamin once a day. I am sluggish and tired and not feeling like doing anything also have sore fingers and achy feeling and a few other issues. She said that the blood work said I was border line anemic and to take these. Perhaps you should try them take for about 2 weeks and see if it helps Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your experience. I take B12 every day, along with a lot of other supplements. One thing I won't take is iron - I hate that stuff! I've been eating Malto cereal in the mornings as it is high in iron content. I'll let everyone know if the hamburgers work!

      Delete
  4. It's hot here really hot and after checking my mail I came home closed all the blinds and didn't do much else but crochet, put up the small crock pot for a bean soup that can be eaten cold. I quit the warm lemon water as I felt nothing different, but I fill a large thermal cup with lemom slices and cucumber slices if nothing else it sure is refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed the lemon water and think I felt better in many ways. I even don't mind the glass of plain warm water that I drink now, but I'm going to try the lemon again.

      Delete
  5. My internet goes out with the heat as well. We got to 113* today, I think, and it is supposed to get there again tomorrow. My poor heat pump runs all day and just shut off around 8:30pm for the first time, getting it down to 88 inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness1 113 is really hot! I hope you can go someplace cooler when you move out of your house.

      Delete
  6. "you never wear white before Memorial Day or after Labor Day."

    You brought a smile to my face with the above rule :)
    I recalled my high school P.E. teacher looking at me horrified because I was wearing a white skirt and I did not abide by said rule...jajajajaja...truth be told I rarely followed rules, that is why I was always grounded!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found plenty of other rules to ignore! My Mom didn't get the white clothes out until the end of May and put them away after Labor Day. It's funny that rules like that one don't bother me at all, but I'll do anything I can to break other ones!

      Delete