Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, June 5, 2016

Long Day

I got an early start Saturday morning, when Jeanne and I took several bags of items to donate to the homeless.  These items were taken to the Girl Scout store; the Girl Scout troops in Sacramento have an intensive drive every year called "Shoes4Sacramento", and these are distributed to homeless and needy children.  The Girl Scout Store takes all donations at their store and will make sure the are given to the needy.  It was so interesting to hear about the distribution process; the Sacramento Sheriff has a warehouse for collection of items for homeless men.  Women's donations are transferred to W.E.A.V.E, (Women Escaping a Violent Environment); kids shoes are taken to various distribution points.  The woman described going to schools where soccer teams, swim teams, basketball, baseball (and other sports) are being formed, but the children don't have the proper footware.  Can you imagine a poor little kid who would like to get on a team or try a sport but don't have the equipment and shoes they need.  Some don't even have flip-flops so they can't go into swim pool areas!  It just breaks my heart.

From there we went back to Jeannie's house for a little while, and then drove to Costco.  We put all the cold stuff in my fridge and then spent a couple of hours at American River Brewing Company.  They have remodeled the patron area and it now looks more like a sports bar.  I liked the original place better, but then I'm not their target patron who wants at least one TV on every wall tuned to various sports.  I really enjoyed the beer though - it's as good as ever.  

We left the brewery and they wanted to go to Whole Foods; I stayed in the van with Arianna since she didn't want to go into the store.  I really didn't want to go in either, so she entertained me for a while.  I was totally worn out when I got home, had a Klondike bar for my supper, and went to bed early!

I think I have written that my internet connection has been terrible.  When I mentioned it to Donald he told me to reset the modem - so this morning I just turned off the power bar for half a minute, and then turned it back on.  The connection is working perfectly, and a check of the TV shows it was reset successfully as well.  I am so happy I didn't have to deal with ATT to get this back on track.

7 comments:

  1. I sure hear you about AT&T, Gypsy, I have
    WIFI only from them. Have spent many hours on the phone when problems came up. My huge beef, beside their questionable, hard to understand, English, is that the people on the phone seem to be elbow to elbow with others. It is like several people are talking at once, and I can't figure out what is going on. I complain. They apologize. But nothing changes.

    Yes, resetting the modem has saved me more than once, too, glad you had a good time enjoying your beer.
    Sounds like Sacramento has a good plan for handling donations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What I hate most about ATT is that their techs talk around in circles and never really answer a question or make any sense at all. I think the idea is to wear you down to the point where you will agree with whatever terms they come up with just to shut them up.

      Delete
  2. Like visiting breweries but have a hard to time in sports bar environments. Just cannot hear anything:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This place is a bit different than a sports bar - there are 5 or 6 TV sreens on 4 walls, each turned to a differnt game, but with no sound. I was facing soccer play-offs, and didn't have to listen to the constant chatter of sports announcers. There was hockey, baseball, and other sports on the other screens. No matter how determined you are to not watch it, you can't help glancing at the screen now and then.

      Delete
  3. Whenever anything electronic isn't working right and I've tried all I know, I always turn it off and then back on before calling anyone. It's amazing how many times that fixes it. Guess I should do that first before I waste time on anything else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get so sick and tired of all the problems with technology and wish I could just do without it. I saw an interesting video on YouTube (didn't watch it, the the title has stayed on my mind). It is something about an ancient civilization that had very advanced technology. I think to myself, "A lot of good it did for them, and where are they now?" The same thing will happen to our civilization in the future.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a wonderful group and they have this donation stuff down pat. It is so sad when kids have nothing and then you go to a store and have to listen to these brats throwing a fit and being told if you be good I'll buy you something. Grrrr You know they must have way to much already.

    You had a busy day but sounds like it was fun.

    ReplyDelete