Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Science matters

I am very interested in science and scientific matters, although my mind doesn't exactly run that way.  When I was in high school, liking science studies was the kiss of death for a teen aged girl, unless you were smart enough to get a college scholarship, or your parents were wealthy enough to send you to nursing school.  Most girls I knew went into clerical work, and I don't like to boast, but I excelled in it.  

I've always wished I knew a little more about science than I do, but I watch the few programs that come along with a true scientific theme:  I don't consider "How it's Made" to be real science.  But science can often come up with something to give you a reason to laugh, or to shake your head in wonder.  I did both when I read the following headline on LiveScience, an email I get every week.  The article says "Size of wineglass affects how much you drink!"  Well, duh, I could have told you that since I finished high school (with no scientific education to speak of).  The scientist who discovered this gem probably got a federal grant, and no doubt has published a paper in some scientific journal.

Another article says that fish recognize human faces.  That is no doubt why fish swim up to where I'm throwing a baited hook into the water.  I know they are communicating with each other - "Let's have some fun with her.  Steal the bait and run!"

There are a couple of terms I hear frequently when I watch science shows, including Youtube videos, or read scientific articles:  "SINGULARITY",  and  "EVENT HORIZON".  I've looked up the definitions often enough, but they still make little sense to me, and I think the same idea could probably be better expressed by a word or phrase that has been in our language and has fairly common usage for years, rather than come up with these two dumb-sounding words.

I went to Costco this morning and bought two more photo albums.  It is now becoming more clear to me how I want to organize the photos, although I should probably go through the remaining hundreds of pictures or I'll be having to rearrange the ones already in albums.  I have a small Brother label maker which I love to use but rarely have a need for, so I'm enjoying making labels for the albums. 

I also bought four colorful throw pillows for the outdoor furniture.  Right now I have them on my couch and may decide to keep them indoors.  I've often commented about the dirt and dust that always seems to blow straight toward my house and yard.  It isn't just my imagination, as I can tell by looking at my neighbors on either side of me - for one thing all the leaves and dust settle in front of my place and no where else.  I might consider getting a lattice divider to set up across my driveway to block some of the dirt, although a divider probably doesn't fall within the Park's rules.

I'm happy to say I'm back to feeling pretty good.  I still have a couple of little hamburgers left which I'll finish off this evening, although I don't feel my energy returning as much as I'd hoped.

16 comments:

  1. There's an hour long TV program I like to watch called 'Dailey Planet'. It has a lot of science related topics on there & they present each segment in an entertaining & easily understandable manner. I like science oriented shows which present new things & stimulate one's mind and imagination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of that TV program - wish we had it here because there is really very little interesting and informative science programming. I agree that we need something mentally stimulating rather than most of the TV offerings we get.

      Delete
  2. Science is my favorite topic and astronomy is my favorite science.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorite topics as well, and I'd have a bit of difficulty selecting my favorite science. I like the way that scientists come up with evidence that completely turns the accepted truths on end. I'm waiting for them to realize that we are not limited by the speed of light.

      Delete
  3. I loved science when I was in school and history also. Still love history.
    I must have missed a post about you having outdoor funiture. You don't have to tell me about the blowing dirt and other nasty stuff landing on the porch. And boy is mine dirty now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. History, geography, and English were my strong suits. In grade school I got mostly A's until I reached 12 yrs old, and we moved so I had to change to a school I hated. It all went downhill from there.

      Delete
  4. I am one who enjoys the origin and meaning of words. I took 2 years of shorthand in high school. The day they handed me the shorthand book I looked at the symbols and read the first fifty or so pages with no problem. I am, however, not good beyond basic business math. Geometry and algebra confused me.

    Surprisingly I just discovered something new about myself. I have aphantasia: http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34039054 I used to wonder what people were talking about when they said they "visualized" something. When I close my eyes all I see is "dark." I think only in words.

    Years ago I had a beautiful blue Siamese Fighting Fish. My family scoffed at me when I told them he knew who I was. They could walk past his little tank and he never acknowledged them. I fed him dried desiccated worms and when I passed by he got all excited and wagged his beautiful tail. Perhaps a large part of science is just being still and observing. They just didn't stop to watch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet I thank you for your comments, which I find so interesting. I can't imagine what it's like to think in words, as I can imagine you are the same way about pictures. I'm a picture person although I love words, the origin, study and usage of.

      I didn't care for math in high school, but took a course in algebra in my adult years and found I enjoyed it although I didn't get into any really advanced stuff. Shorthand was always a joy to me, and I give my teacher credit for making it so.

      That's a great story about your fish and I'm not surprised at all. I truly believe that every living creature has some kind of intelligence, whether or not it matches what we think of as ours and at the top of the chain. Big dogs and cows are my favorites, but I work on trying to use telepathy with birds, and it sometimes produces amazing results. Since telepathy consists of sending images, can you compensate in some way. I think it would work, as my first success was when backpacking the Appalachian Trail. A beautiful bird was sitting on a log just off the trail. I stopped and thought "You are so beautiful. I wish you would turn and let me see the rest of you". That bird slowly turned a complete circle on the log! I was hooked forever!

      Now I'm going tok look up the link you provided.

      Delete
  5. I did really well in school in every subject but science well that and phys ed which I hated. I was a reader. But I was also a superior math student and they always say math and science are twin abilities. Well not for me. I did like biology but not dissection, hated chemistry and physics. I sure do envy people who can visualize and some even in color. I'm like Janet. Nothing but words. Now that I'd like to understand and whether there is anything to be done for it. I would so like to be able to "see" things in my mind rather than just hear them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could do well in most any subject provided the instructor was competent, and if the overall atmosphere of the school is conducive to doing well. My first two years of high school were miserable, and fortunately I transferred to another school where I was understokod and liked by the staff. It was a life-changing transfer.

      I have been wondering if someone who thinks in words can develokp their "third eye", and would that make a difference.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sherry for commenting. We are not alone. At least we have an explanation at last.

      Delete
  6. In my case, I have begun to think ab electrical accident in my toddler years damaged my pineal gland and the limbic part of my brain (and perhaps the math part too. lol) I have an Essential Oil Desk Reference that says sandalwood is high in sesquiterpenes and will stimulate the healing of the pineal, but I haven't had much success. Frankincense is supposed to be helpful too. So in some cases it may be a matter of healing and restoration rather than developing it. The brain is a complicated mystery. Having worked at the Southwestern Institute of Forensic Sciences years ago, I have seen brains and am in awe that they work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use incense nearly every day, but it's been a while since I used essential oils. To tell the truth, I never found them to do anything for me. I agree about the brain, and share the awe you feel.

      Delete
  7. I use incense a lot too. It is the only thing that relieves my nerve pain. I really like the Surya brand and burn the rose a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I replenish my incense supply I usually go to a website tht sells it plus candles, stones, etc. The brand I'm currently using is from the HEM Corporation, hand rolled in India. Along with the usual scents, I have one called "Open Roads" which I love when I live in my memories of traveling across the country; I also have one called "Forest" which makes me feel like I'm camped out among the pine trees. I use it mostly because I enjoy it and it transforms my mood.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the incense information. I will look this up.

      Delete