Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Tying loose ends

I have so many little things to do that I should have made a list of but didn't.

I made a brief trip to the farmers mkt. this morning and bought some beautiful strawberries, as well as a few vegetables - just potatoes and two kinds of squash.  I haven't been eating as many vegetables as I like lately, and will enjoy the squash especially.  Any potatoes that are left will keep until I get back.  Of course every stall there had incredibly beautiful produce that I couldn't buy today.  The market runs year around although the kinds of produce will change slightly.

I dropped some books off at the library and the librarian extended the due date on a few others by several days so I will be able to return them on time after I get back.  They are so accommodating, which I find is true with all librarians I have ever encountered in the U.S. as well as in Ireland.  

I'm waiting for the air show to begin at Mather airfield this afternoon.  I've enjoyed watching - and mostly hearing - the plans run through some of their exercises.  There will be the Harrier Jump Jets, the F-86 Sabre Jet, the F-22 Raptor, and the P-51 Mustang.   I saw 3 of the P-51's flying overhead yesterday and my subconscious told me I saw a propeller.  When I looked at the picture in the local paper I saw that indeed it does have a propeller.  I'd rather fly in a prop plane any day, but of course not from CA to NY!  I hope I can get some photos from the street outside my house.  I have always missed seeing and hearing the Navy & Air Force planes at Mather AFB before the base was closed.   The airfield is now used for cargo planes.  I know very little about airplanes but always liked to see military planes flying overhead.  Commercial airliners don't interest me a bit and I dislike the pollution of their contrails cluttering up a beautiful sky.

I've been trying to pack snacks that I can carry on the plane - I have baggies of cashews and trail mix, plus several Clif bars, a few biscotti, and I'll wash and bag whatever grapes I have left before I leave. I'm trying to pack all I can in the suitcase that will be checked in, and save my small lightweight backpack for my computer, reading material, and snacks.  I  haven't yet found a crossword puzzle book and time is running short.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like you are all ready to fly off into the wild blue yonder. . . I also like aircraft. When I worked a couple year contract job at G.E. Nuclear in Wilmington, N.C., I really enjoyed the yearly air shows. They were great. And since the place that I worked also made jet engines, some of the pilots, ( one year the Blue Angles and the next year the Thunderbirds) visited the plant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. getting caught up! watching the helicopters here at the Base is really something ... I love to fly and glad you're about ready to freddy! yep... seems no more snacks or drinks served as a courtesy ...

    I remember the dinner and lunch flights... not too bad food... sometimes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh for a year round Farmer's Market. SIGH........ sounds like you have everything well though out for your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Busy, busy. Your ready for this trip and I feel your excitement on your post.

    Just a few more days left.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sound so happy! You seem like you are ready to go and have everything under control.

    ReplyDelete