Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 1, 2014

Too hot to move

At 6pm today it is still 99F.  The day seemed to warm up earlier than usual and I have felt drained of energy, so I've really done nothing today.  I checked weather.com for the NY area that I'll be in, and it looks like I'll arrive to 75 degrees, with rain the day after I get there.  I will be very happy to see rain for a change.  I remember as a kid we used to go out in a warm rain and walk in the flooded gutters in the street.  My mom hated for us to do that but it was hard to keep us from it.  It was a rarity for me to even go barefoot, as I stepped on a bee when I was very young and never went barefoot again.  Still don't.

I've spent a big part of the day watching programs I've recorded - The Dead Files (really more interesting than it sounds),  several different programs of UFO files, and of course my favorite, Animal Cops Houston.  

I missed out on a lot of sleep last night as I woke up to a very powerful odor coming in the open windows.  It almost smelled like sewage, but not quite.  I thought about going outside to see if any pipes were broken and leaking, but at 3 am I figured I wouldn't be able to do anything about it until daylight.  It was difficult to go back to sleep though.  This morning the odor had vanished, the pipes looked ok, and everything seems in order. 

There are several buildings across the walking trail in back of the park that house light industry.  Whatever it is that they work on, they don't stop at night but seem to run 24 hrs a day.  I think I noticed a strong smell about a year ago at night and it never became apparent what it was, so I attributed it to something in one of those buildings.    I will take a drive over in that vicinity one of these days and see what kind of industry is there.
 
I had a difficult time going back to sleep thinking about having to worry about plumbing repair so soon after the roof repair, and it couldn't happen at a worse time than when I'm getting ready to travel.

Along with my rent bill this month was a notice that the rent will be going up about $25 a month.  I guess they have to pay for all those  solar panels some way, but they should see a savings in electricity and not have to raise everyone's rent.  This is the second increase since I moved here about 4 yrs ago.   It makes me mad enough to want to leave this place, but what I pay for rent and all utilities is still less than what I paid in apartment rental 4 yrs ago, and I had to pay utilities in addition to the rent.

I guess I should take my sunshade down before I leave for 3 wks, so it doesn't get blown down and fly around the neighborhood!  If it did, I'd want to be here to see it.  I'm a little surprised that it is still hanging, although I did have to go and re-tie one of the little brass chains holding one of the sides up.

2 comments:

  1. Sometimes odors can travel a long way down wind. Or maybe your neighbors eat too many beans.. (grin).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the show Dead Files too. don't seem to get Don't get Animal Cops anymore here for some reason or maybe it comes on before I turn on the TV.

    The Fall is coming Gypsy I promise. For sure by time you get back anyway.

    ReplyDelete