Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Great, So Far

I thought I'd post a quick update to say that I arrived on time in NY yesterday afternoon.  Both the flights to Chicago and to White Plains were perfect - no time delays, good seating, and no problems with weather.  Also, I was thrilled to find I had been "Pre-screened", so I just put my carry on and purse on the conveyor belt through the xray, while I walked through the archway to the other side.  No groping, no shoes off, and no indignities, plus a much shorter line.  I asked my son how I happened to be so lucky, and he told me "I gave them your age"!  It turns out that seniors and young children can be exempted from the regular screening process, or for those who travel often, they can submit a request and undergo a background check to avoid the hassles of full screening.

Jeannie had helped me into the airport in Sacramento and took care of checking in for me, really no problem except that I've never had to do the self-service thing.  We had already printed out my boarding passes but you still have to do something with them inside the airport.  I'll let Mike take care of it when I leave for Sac in 3 weeks.  Personally, I think all the self-service is more of a hassle than walking up to the ticket agent at the desk and having them check the luggage and print out the boarding pass, but in that case I know I'm just an old dog who doesn't want to learn new tricks! 

I had a very difficult time sleeping the night before I left Sacramento and I find it impossible to sleep on a plane, so I have a day of rest planned today.  Sandy drove her Jeep to work so I could have the mini van available, but I'm a little hesitant as I've never driven a mini van before.  I'll get used to it but today I'll probably rest at home since I have the place all to myself.

Leaving Chicago the plane flew out over Lake Michigan and then there was a pretty good cloud cover most of the way to my destination.  When we flew low and under the clouds the final few minutes I was amazed at how green everything was, but most of all with all the water - lakes, rivers, reservoirs, etc., much different than the dry west.  I have really missed the lush features of this part of the country and feel like I'm "back home".  

The boys have grown so much and I'm so glad I'm here for a few weeks.

11 comments:

  1. Good to hear that there are some flights that don't have any problems since all we hear about on the news are the horror stories. I can understand the just relaxing day. Good for you. It really is lush and green out here. Just read that they are experiencing lots of mosquitoes in AZ because of all the rain so I can't win no matter where I am. Guess I could go back to Montana where it's snowing - NOT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you had a good flight and are now at you kid's place. Your so right New York State has a lot of lakes,Enjoy these three weeks since a holiday is to be enjoyed and relax and be lazy. Sam & Donna.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First thing I thought bout when you was in the flight line was...."Gypsy's gonna git groped". Would'a been soooo cool to hear your side of it. But glad you didn't have to go through that.

    Hope you have a wonderful visit. Buy me sumthing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great news about one more benefit to getting old! Not that I ever intend to get on an airplane again!

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a good flight and that you are going to be able to rest up. Have a great time, you hear?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like everything went fabulously. Your kids sure do take care of you. I didn't know about pre-screening. Thanks for the tip. I'm sure some day I'll probably fly again. Glad you arrived safely and are staying for a good long time. I know just how you feel about the green green of the east. When I get back to Virginia I'm almost in tears for missing it so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you made it and without all the hassles! you know how I feel about the green ... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful news about easy flight and check ins. I know how you feel about all this new fangel stuff. I probably would get mad and go home. It's good to have kids who know how to do all this stuff. Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you had an easy flight. Enjoy your trip - hope you have some wonderful weather.

    arlonHboozer.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make me giggle Gypsy. YOU are worried about driving a mini van, but yet you used to drive a full size pick up with a trailer hitched to it? giggle

    They're easy but I would like to see you get some rest. I know you are going to have the best time. So happy for you.

    Bless you sweet lady. Have fun and we'll all catch up soon. Hugs and love!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you made it safely to NY! And good to know our age works in our favor when flying. I haven't flown since 9/11 - I refuse to have extra x-rays that I don't need for medical reasons, and I'll never let a stranger grope me like I've heard they do. Unless they let me grope them back!! The whole idea of flying just turns me off now. The actual flying part I love, though. Anyway, good to know you had an easy time of it and arrived safely. :)

    ReplyDelete