Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 13, 2014

Pandemonium!

Before the pandemonium I will describe my climb up the hill with my 8 yr old grandson yesterday just before dark.

Here is the back yard, and we climbed up from the side and walked over to where we were behind the shed.  I wondered if I could make it and I did, with not too much trouble.



My grandson at one of their property markers:





He is such a great kid.  I kept telling him he should just go ahead of me but he stayed with me and kept a good eye out for my welfare, without being obvious about it.

It was a really strenuous climb up, and treacherous coming down - many rocks of all sizes, tree limbs, uneven terrain, thorny plants, etc., but I made it!

Today is the younger grandson's birthday.  But early today was the community parade and social event  at the park, and the boys were "marching" in the parade with their soccer teams.  My son Mike was going to walk with the younger boy's team, and Joshua said, but who will walk with me (his mom had another appointment and couldn't be there)?  Of course I piped up and said "I will walk with you".  I wasn't sure he would want me to but I was committed, and we all went to the staging area this morning.  That's where the pandemonium comes in.  
It was a good study in gender differences.  The girls stood in small groups and faced each other, eye to eye, and carried on conversations.  The boys shoved, pushed, and play fought each other the entire time!  I thought it was so funny and just the way it is in our lives no matter how old we get.  There is a definite difference in how we interact with those of our own gender.

Here are some shots of the team as well as the parade.  This was the most unorganized event I've ever seen in my life, and I loved it!  No one worried about it - very few groups stayed in any kind of order, and everyone in the community was either in the parade or came out to watch.  There is nothing to compare with the village or town communities in the northeast - the sense of togetherness, pride, and fun.





 I think I have a couple of pictures out of order, but the parade ended in the community park where there were a lot of  local businesses who had booths, as well as a display of old military jeeps, World War II and Vietnam vintage.

This evening we went out for dinner to celebrate Justin's 6th birthday.  Tomorrow will be the family and close friend party - outside if the rain holds off - and then another party for school friends to follow in a week or two.  They love birthdays around here!



So my legs are tired and my feet hurt, and I've definitely eaten too much since I've been here.  I can barely find any pants that fit!  

Sandy's parents have been here this weekend as well, and it's always nice to be with them.

This morning Sandy, her mom and I went to the farm where she gets produce every two weeks, and picked our own vegetables and fruit.  Definitely a good start to the day, but I'm feeling my age tonight!


8 comments:

  1. Looks like you are having a great time. What fun with all those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am tired just thinking about all that activity:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved that your grandson was looking out for you without being too obvious, he looks like a sweet kid :)

    I do not think I would have much energy left after the hike and then the parade!

    From the looks of it you are having a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are one brave lady to volunteer to walk with that group of boys. So much energy in those little bodies. Glad you are having such a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like it was a lot warmer in NY than here for that parade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We sure had a cool front come through here in Texas. I bet it is colder than up there in New York. When we left the house this morning it was only 67 degrees. Rare for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our small town had a parade just like that. You either marched in it or came to watch. So much fun! Where are those pants with the elastic waist when you really need them?

    ReplyDelete