Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, September 27, 2014

More of Intrepid

First I need to correct my post that wrongly identified a cruise missile as a Harrier jump jet.  I think they were in the same area and maybe even side by side, but that's no excuse!   Thanks to my brother, Bill, for letting me know.

Rather than try to identify anything else on the ship I will just post some photos.  













Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club






Mike's dad was a medic in Korea in the early 1960's, and this is a medical chopper from the Korean War era.

Please click on a photo to enlarge.  All comments welcome, and I would especially like to hear from those of you who are personally familiar with the ship or any of the planes, helicopters, etc.  

The guided tour was definitely worth the time and cost.  We had walked around most of the ship, but having a guide explain and tell stories about it was priceless.  We also saw a film about the history of the Intrepid, ending with personal accounts of those who fought, American and Japanese.    It was a powerful experience for me.

Although it rained all day and it was difficult to take pictures on the deck, it sure kept the crowds down, which made it easier to take our time exploring everything.




5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh!! You actually got to see the Blackbird. That was and is the fastest plane in the world. It could fly from coast to coast in an hour. Every time it flew, it re-heat treated its skin. My favorite plane of all time. (It is in the 5th picture down from the top)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got a guided tour and were able to gain more insight from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a massive shop. And everything that you saw was huge. I bet the kids had lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gypsy, your living part of my lifes history, in 1969 I spent a month in Pensacola with a 3 helicopter detachment to USS Intrepid as it took the place of USS Lexington which went in repairs.We provided the rescue capability while they trained New Aviators that month, What a great duty assignment.Intrepid was a tight ship and had great mess facilities,We did sleep ashore in a barracks since she came back into Pensacola each night. Thanks for the Memories. Sam..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love seeing the pictures but I sure wouldn't know what they were or remember what they told me they were.

    ReplyDelete