Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

More walking

I was back on the trail this morning and covered two more miles of the 13 total, although I actually walked 4 miles today.  The first thing I'm going to do when I get back to Sacramento is visit the shoestore for athletic footwear and buy myself a good pair of walking shoes.  I should never have thought I could buy inexpensive Fila's and walk very far in them.  I think I have blisters today.






There are a few trees that are beginning to turn red, but most are just waiting for a frost .  I also got a shot of the mile marker that I will begin with the next time I'm back on the trail - possibly next June.

I got all turned around leaving the parking area as I'm not familiar with the roads in this particular area.  I wrote the directions to the parking lot I wanted, but just indicated left and right turns.  I thought about drawing a map but didn't think I'd need it.  

While walking this morning I was passed by a man on a low slung 3-wheeler, and he was using his arms to turn the big front wheel.  He went by so fast that I didn't get a chance to see if he was an amputee or otherwise unable to use his legs.  He also passed me as I was walking back to where I started, which means he went a lot further than I did.  He probably didn't whine that his arms hurt and I feel bad that I'm whining about my feet and legs hurting.  (My legs don't hurt as much today, though, so I guess the trick will be to keep up the walking regimen.) 

It looks like rain is forecast for tomorrow and we may not be able to take our planned excursion.   Tomorrow is the Jewish feast of Rosh Hashana and the schools are closed, so Sandy and Mike both planned to take  off work.   Time will tell.  I think it is supposed to be raining in Sacramento as well, and I hope my roof repair holds up.

I'm trying to catch up on the blogs I read and am doing fairly well at it although I'm not always leaving comments.  Things will get back to normal when I'm home and rested up, and get used to the 3-hour time difference.

I believe a commenter asked me a while back what kind of camera I use.  It's a little Canon Powershot A-1400.  I can't say I'm crazy about it, but it's easy to carry around.  If I could find a place to buy film that I know is fresh I think I would go back to using my film cameras more often.  The only thing I like about digital is quick access to the photos.  I have never used the video or the delete photo options with this camera, yet they take up two spaces on the camera housing that  could either be used for something else or just left blank.  Does every bit of it have to be filled with some option?   And because most cameras don't come with an instruction booklet but rather you must access a 350+ page online booklet, I don't know what all the options are and probably won't ever find out.  Oh well, I know I'm greatly outnumbered where this issue is concerned.

I don't know whether to take a quick nap or find something else to do, but the nap sounds appealing!
   

6 comments:

  1. With all that hiking, good shoes would be a help. We have a Canon SD1400 that was our in our pocket camera, just in case. It has done a pretty good job but now has been regulated to the car as a last chance to get a picture camera, if we forget both of the other ones:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only have a Cannon Power Shoot A12000. It does all I need it to do, but when trying to take pictures of birds, I would like more "zoom" power so am looking at more expensive cameras.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that once you have a really good pair of walking shoes which might require spending a really good amount of money, that your leg and feet problems may well disappear. 4 miles is a very fine amount to walk or hike IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your really getting into the walking trail. But good walking shoes are very important.
    I have 2 canon camera's and I love them both. But your right the manuals are long and have to be downloaded so I haven't really tried out all the options yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really doing great with the walking.

    Hope California gets some rain, it would really help with the fires and the drought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I started this last job, I bought a new pair of waterproof hiking boots. It's the first pair that I didn't have to break in, comfortable from day one. I also wear thick Gold Toe Socks.

    ReplyDelete