Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, January 13, 2012

Roof-over or Band-Aid fix?

I have thought about writing a blog entry all day but something has always come up to prevent it. To all those who warned me about shingles, I appreciate it because I would never have thought shingles could start out that way. I think I just have a plain old sore muscle. The heat pad I used yesterday seemed to have it under control, until this morning when I washed the sheets for my bed and decided to turn the mattress. It is one of those you don't turn completely over, but just reverse it from top to bottom. It is a queen size mattress and heavy besides being awkward to do by myself. So the pain has been off and on again today. I think the heat has taken care of it once again.

I had a representative of a highly recommended roofer come by today. We talked briefly and he found out I have traveled a lot including a couple of years full-time in an RV. I reminded him of his mom who is on her own, loves to travel, is a totally independent woman, and traveled in an RV for many years. In fact, he told me he had bought her motorhome 2 years ago when she couldn't handle it any more.

He looked at the roof and sort of suggested I could do a band-aid type of fix, or rather that my son and/or son-in-law could do it. In fact, he will come over and show them what needs to be done and explain how to do it, for free. He also gave me an estimate for a roof-over, which is way more than I want to spend at this time. He thinks I could get 2-4 years without leaks with the "fix". Being in the business of roofing and making a living at it, I get the sense he understands the problems facing an older woman on her own, with limited resources, and I can tell you he went straight up in my estimation, as well as my trust. He also seemed to appreciate the fact that I have family that helps me out when I need it, as I am sure he helps his own mom.

Donald agreed to come over to talk to the guy, and I don't think I will even ask Joe since he needs to concentrate fully on getting settled in school and the program. I have just about decided on the fix solution, so I will call him tomorrow and set up a time convenient for him to come over.

Since I didn't have time to go to Home Depot before the roofer got here, and was too tired after battling with the mattress to go later in the afternoon, I will have to return the left-over pergo tomorrow for sure. I'm tired of it taking up space in my car, and I think I'll go over to the roofing supplies aisle to just sort of check out what is available. Roofing is something I know absolutely nothing about, but I can learn a little about it.

I've been thinking about the roofer all afternoon and evening, and have come to the conclusion that with all the greedy people ready to take whatever they can get, there truly are many generous-spirited, kind, and compassionate people too, and I am so fortunate to have met a few of them.

10 comments:

  1. I agree with your last paragraph. Despite the overwhelming greed in our society there still are fine reputable people out there who put the needs and concerns of others first. We have all met a few of them and we have all met a lot of the other kind too. All the best on your roof fix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to meet such a caring person. Thank goodness we do meet folks like him along our way that help us not totally give up. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always puts a sparkle in my day to meet such a person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perhaps you can ask him for a few of his business cards and recommend him to others who DO need a roofing job done? One good turn deserves another. It's refreshing to see a businessman treat an older gal with respect and not try to sell her something she does not really need!

    KUDOS to him!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, there are still a lot of wonderful, kind, and helpful people out there, but they just don't make the headlines like the opposite type does.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is the roof metal?

    A good mop with rubberized roofing material is easy to do. I've done it myself when I was younger. Metal roofs need to be mopped every so many years anyway.

    While the boys are up there have them double-check all the roof vent covers because that is where the leaks I had came from. The manufacturer used plastic vent covers and the sun rotted them. I replaced them with metal covers with new gasket material and no more leaks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It really is a gift when u come across an honest, helpful person!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy to hear about this nice considerate honest roofer. I wish people like this were on the nightly news rather than all the bad news with which they fill up their shows.

    So glad he came to you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hate to hear you not feeling up to snuff! bummer

    And yes it's always refreshing to know there are people out there who care... what a nice person you met... trust is a very rare thing these days

    ReplyDelete
  10. This roofer is very kind and generous to teach your son how to fix your roof without pay. I also appreciate what he has done for you. This kind of person should be awarded for their generosity. :-)

    ReplyDelete