Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Roof fix accomplished, and reply to comment

First I would like to thank Alice for her thought-provoking comment to my last blog entry. I didn't know about the MLK Foundation or its award to a Chinese sculptor. I don't think it's a matter of racism on my part to prefer the statue to have been carved here in the United States rather than in China, but is purely a matter of economics. I spent the weekend listening to many speeches from many who were part of Dr. King's circle, as well as a very beautiful and moving talk from his youngest son. In each case the person was asked what he thought Dr. King's focus would be today, and the unanimous answer was "economics". Dr. King would have seen that economic policies that began far earlier than our present Administration, have led to the deterioration in the standard of living of most Americans, and that these policies have resulted in more people of all races living below the poverty level. I don't believe he would have failed to notice that a major cause of this has been the outsourcing of our manufacturing base to China. When we don't manufacture or create anything, there aren't many decent jobs left to fill. I believe that Dr. King would have addressed this problem and searched for a way that, first of all, would help lift the burden of poverty here at home. I also believe he would have wanted to address the problem world wide, but his first focus would have been in the United States.

As far as whether or not he would have been happy that a Chinese worker sculpted his memorial, we will never know for sure. I would respectfully disagree with you on that point, although I'm not saying you are wrong.

I believe it is the workers of the world who will always get the shaft sooner or later, and it will eventually happen to the Chinese workforce. But please don't accuse me of racism because I would like to see men and women in the U.S. find jobs by which they can support their families, educate their children, afford decent medical care, and so on.

Donald was on the roof today and I took a look when he was finished. He did a beautiful job, and the next 4 days promise some much needed rain, so I will be checking for leaks. Meanwhile, the two girls were in the house with me and we had a great day together. They can sure go through a lot of grapes and tangerines, and then they remembered that I keep a supply of snacks (healthy ones) on hand, so they hit me up for a few of those. They colored and drew, I read stories until I thought I would never talk again, and we watched cartoons for a while. They took turns holding the leash when Lady needed her afternoon walk, and waved to Daddy on the roof when we could see my house from the walking trail. Now I'm sitting with a cold one, exhausted.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to find a shoe store in midtown that has a sale on Birkenstocks. I rarely wear shoes that tie anymore, and I'm ready for another pair of Birkies.

8 comments:

  1. Good response Gypsy. It would have been nice had Alice presented her information about the foundation but calling you a racist for your opinion was out of line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do believe that it was an insult to all Americans, particularly Afro-American people, to have a Chinese artist sculpt the Dr. King statue. It carries so much significance to all people who loathe racism and was a major turning point for all Western Nations.

    There would be equally talented N. American people who would have sculpted with an understanding of the times. If the decision was economic then the decision makers missed the point of this statue.

    Chinese people are wonderfully clever and artistic but this does not make sense even to me in the back-blocks of New Zealand.

    I just hope the statue does touch peoples hearts and memories in a way that honours Dr. King.

    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know I like trains, and maybe railroads are an indicator of or economics,all the class 1 railroads had an increase in earnigs last year, Also EMD locomotives who haven't had a plant in the USA since they closed theor LaGrange Il. facility and have been building locomotives in Ontario Canada, and Mexico. Was bought out by Caterpiller, and is still EMD but they have just completed their first Diesel built in their new Plant in Indiana.Glad to hear your roof is done and improved. Be safe out there. Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  4. "You Betcha" on your comments about the statue. Even from an economic angle, If we kept more business in the United States, maybe we wouldn't be in the pickle we are today. Including buying from an American artist. It's not a race issue, it's supporting an American Artist ----

    (ps I weave wonderful rugs, but you can go to Home Depot and buy a cheaply woven rug for $3.99--- I can't compete. I weave a nicer rug that will last longer, and use my American made tools to create it)

    Glad your roof is done and your worker was so nice to you!!!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a good grandma you are! And a wise one too.

    The issue is definitely the growing gap between the rich and the poor economically which makes me really wonder why many folks of very modest income support politicians who are still doing the "tax breaks for the rich and corporate America will trickle down" story. It hasn't worked since Reagan first began chanting it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The greed and lack of regard is truly appalling these days. Big profits for a few make for very slim pickens for the rest of us. Your granddaughters are very fortunate to have you. One has to wonder what kids today will be facing in the future if the attitude of wealth for a few continues. Best Wishes.

    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry, but i just don't do politics on blogs. Don't read em, don't comment on em.

    BUT,,,on your roof,,,congrats! AND,,how are your eyes doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually wear slip-on Vans. So is your roof still leaking? It's nice to hear that Donald did a great job. Maybe you can put up some pictures of the roof he fixed!

    ReplyDelete