Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 19, 2012

If at first you don't succeed ...

I decided to try again today, and set the GPS to get me to Birkenstock's Midtown. It is in a very lovely area and would be a place to enjoy the best in urban living if I was a younger person. You can bike or walk to just about everything you need in this part of town.

I ended up finding an on-sale pair of Birks, and while I was intending to get black or brown, I bought a pair with olive brushed leather straps. I also found a beautiful dark blue pair of Heflingers (clogs) and snapped them up quickly. I wear a pair of black Heflingers most of the time but have gotten paint on them, so now I have a pair for "good".

I received suggestions from several readers that I buy online. I am one who likes to buy local whenever possible, so it was my preference to keep the profits here in Sacramento. I also like to see and touch the product I am purchasing, trying it on if necessary. It's a good thing I did because I would have bought shoes that were too big. I needed a whole size down from what I've been wearing (largely because I've bought them online), and I can really feel the difference in comfort and ease of walking in the new ones.

Then it was on to the Sacramento Foods Coop, where I took out a membership and did some shopping. In the past I've shopped when one of my sons was working and they accompanied me through the checkout so I used their cards. Joe no longer works there because he's in school fulltime, and Steve has moved to Monterey. I was given some flyers and a copy of the annual report, and when I looked at the report I thought "Hey, that looks like my kid". It was my kid, Steve, who is the President of the Board of Directors!

I'm excited about shopping at the Coop, as it is a way of life for me to want fresh organic foods, sustainably grown, locally where possible. It may not be for everyone, but it is certainly my style.

I wanted to take a picture of my new shoes but can't find my camera. It is no doubt in front of me in plain sight, and I'll only see it after I hit "Publish" on the blog.

I mentioned yesterday that I drove over and then dragged a very large log. I didn't hear any rattles or notice anything different with the steering today, so I guess there was no damage. I will have my mechanic check it out though, the next time I go in for an oil change.

Although it has been overcast all day, I made the trip with no difficulties. I feel pretty happy this afternoon, as only a woman with a pair of new shoes can relate to.

5 comments:

  1. It is amazing what a new pair of shoes you like can do for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay... new Birks...

    I really like to feel the product too... that's one reason I like to go to the bookstores in lieu of buying at Amazon, etc.

    However, buying online can be the way to go if you can't get... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hardly ever shop on-line except when I cannot find it locally; like parts for a 35 year old Braun machine. The store here went out of business. I'm like you, I want to feel it and try it on.

    ReplyDelete
  4. With you all the way about Buy Local AND about co-ops and fresh fruits and veggies. I find I'm with you on most of your opinions. Are we twins???

    Want to see those shoes. They are two of my favorites. Hmmmm another similarity. :-)

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete