Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jello is not only for RV plans

Realizing that this might be the last sunny day for a while, I set out this morning to run some errands. First stop was Costco Pharmacy, where for the 3rd time in 3 weeks I've tried to get a prescription for eye drops that I need. Sadly, the accountants that make the decisions on when they will pay for a refill, and not a day sooner, had decided 10 mg should last me 50 days. I've written previously about this situation, but this morning I was able to get the drops.

So on to the shoe store in Midtown where I hoped to find a good sale on Birkenstocks. For some reason, I have been flat broke since about the 10th of January, and have been really stretching what little I have in my wallet. A couple of years ago I quit carrying my credit card to discourage my using it and living beyond my means, but I decided I would buy the shoes with the card as well as a little shopping at the Sacramento Food Coop. I was on the freeway when I thought I'd better make sure I had the credit card, so I was driving along groping in my purse to find it. To my dismay I realize I must have left it at home, so I got off at the next exit.

As I exited the off ramp onto Watt Avenue, I hit something in the road and thought I may have caused something underneath the vehicle to drag on the ground. It was making a terrible noise, and I got onto the shoulder as soon as I could. I then remembered that I hadn't brought my cell phone with me so I wouldn't be able to call for assistance unless a good samaritan came along and lent me their phone. I partially crawled under the back of the car, thinking it might have been part of the exhaust system even though it didn't sound like anything metallic being dragged. It's dark under the car but I managed to see an object in the front, right next to the tire on the driver's side. That, of course, was the traffic side, but I carefully checked the front to discover I must have hit and dragged a large wooden log which was stuck to some part of the undercarriage. I twisted and pulled, finally getting it loose, and threw it as far as I could across the field next to me.

I guess it just wasn't my day to shop or to run up my credit card, and I guess I should be grateful that I saved some money. I had to be ok with that because there wasn't anything in the world I could do about it, and I certainly wasn't going to go all the way back home to get the card. So I stopped by the library on the way home and found 3 great books, one of which I'm going to read this evening instead of watching TV. My neighborhood library is such a wonderful place - with a lot of tables and places to sit and read, computers to use, even a chessboard set up at a table just waiting for a couple of enthusiasts to sit down for a game. They have many programs for small children as well, and I was thinking how I'd like to bring my granddaughters over for story hour some day, when I realized I won't drive kids anywhere except in a case of real need. I just don't feel right at my age with slower reflexes taking a chance with children in the car.

I recently bought a throw rug for the side of my bed, primarily because I know Lady always likes to move around from room to room during the day and at night as well. So far, she is pretty well confined to her bed in the living room since she can't lie for very long on the wood floors. The new rug has a flexible rubberized underside to keep it in place, whereas other floor mats I have are fairly rigid. I discovered she goes into the bedroom and scrunches the rug all up to the point that I don't know how she can lie on it, but for some reason she does it anyway. Dogs!

And finally, I noticed a couple of days ago that my gmail page had gone back to the old style. I don't know how or why, but I'm holding my breath they will just leave it alone. Not sure if they will do that because earlier today I found the small box in the lower right corner with the option to try to new look. As I have mentioned, I acclimated to aol mail very fast and will definitely keep it. Blogger won't allow me to change my primary email however, so I will hang on to gmail. Has anyone else experienced getting the old version back or am I in a time warp?

7 comments:

  1. Good grief, Gypsy... a log? well? at least you still have the flexibility to bend and pull...

    Not as much fun but have you considered ordering your Birks off the internet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wish I could have been there for you, I always carry hydraulic jacks in the truck so I could have jacked up the car and got the log out. Oh well, glad you had the wherewithal to get er done.Be safe out there, Sam & Donna..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, our Gmail reverted back to it's old self again. Fine by me:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Gmail stays with the new version. I don't mind it so that is OK. I don't use it much. My main address is with Yahoo. I like that better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow what a day!,,
    If i have a good book, i'm set for day or nite.
    Like Carolyn said, why not order online?,,,I do it all the time, and have since way back, like, mid 90s, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have 2 gmail accounts. One reverted back to old the other one didn't..

    They both seem rather easy to use however I also prefer the old.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad to see another person who likes Birks. My wife just loves them!

    ReplyDelete