Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, August 13, 2021

Planning is Half the Fun!

I've been looking at gardening websites and can barely hold myself back from ordering plants, seeds, bulbs, etc.  I discovered that if I order bulbs which will be delivered in November, I can keep them in the freezer until I am ready to plant, which would probably be January, the month after we move into our new place.  There are so many gorgeous iris, as well as tulips, daffodils, etc., that I want to buy.  I will include Arianna in the planning and planting, as she will likely be the one to care for them when I can no longer do so or am not around.   I would also like to plant some flower seeds, as well as a few veggies.  But I will be moving to someone else's house, and I will be subject to their ideas about what they want in their yard!  I sort of wish I had my own place where I can do as I choose, but that time of my life is over!  I will have my own patio, but growing plants in the ground is my first choice - I cannot imagine a potted tomato plant!

The kids have started school and I think they are all happy to finally be able to go back to the classroom.  They also love being with their friends again - they did visit back and forth with a couple of them during the past year, but I'm sure they are happy to be back in a structured environment for a change.  Of course they wear masks while in school, and many of them keep their masks on whenever they are away from home.  I can't imagine what the past year must have been like for the kids - their whole world was altered.  Mine too!

I would love to see some rain for a change, but it seems that we are in the beginning of an approximate 5-year drought!  I've given up on gardening for the rest of this year - the tomatoes that I planted aren't the tastiest, nor did they grow to their full size.  The sun is way too hot for them as well and many of the plants didn't survive early summer.

I'm not giving up on anything, but will have to look at alternate ways of doing things in the future!  

8 comments:

  1. When I lived just out side of southern Houston Texas, my absolute best tomatoes came from potted plants. The pots were about 18 inches tall and 14 inches across the top. I used cheap potting soil from walmart. This went on for over 10 years. New plants or seeds each year but the same dirt with new fertilizer etc each year. I feel that being in the pots helped me control the diseases and bugs much easier. Several other vegetables etc did well in pots also. Okra and corn did not like the pots at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to read your comment. It will probably be easier for me to use pots for the tomatoes, and i can move the, in and out of the sun/shade as necessary. I don't care for okra and wouldn't try to grow corn, so I'm good to go!

      Delete
  2. I have tomatoes and cucumbers in large pots this year plus a lot of herbs and they are all doing well. I am in my 70's and have really enjoyed gardening this way because I find it easier on my back. It is also easier to water each pot with the right amount and check for any bugs, etc.The pots are the regular ones you see in all the stores and I can move them around if I need to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. I agree with the concept that pots are easy to move around if needed, and the plants are probably easier to water and care for than those planted in the ground.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the others pots are the way to go with the aging process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks to all who commented - you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, and I think I will buy some large pots for my gardening efforts this coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My daughter's garden has some beds & some large pots....as with above comments, the thriving tomatoes and peppers are in the large pots.

    ReplyDelete