Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 23, 2021

An Outing for me!

Two days ago I went to Costco with Jeannie & Donald and it was so good to be out among people, even though everyone takes care to stay socially distanced and masked.  While I was one of the first eligible groups to be vaccinated, I still wear a mask around others.  I was vaccinated in Jan/Feb, so I'm anticipating notice that I can get a booster shot.  Thankfully, Jeannie, Donald, and their two girls also got their first vaccination, and it will be a relief when they are fully protected as well.  I was concerned about Jeannie and the vaccine because of all her autoimmune issues, but she had no problems with the first shot.  I hope her second dose goes as well as mine did.

With Autumn and Arianna here, my coffee table is stacked with their books.  They   remind me of myself when I was their age, and even as an adult when I could see well enough to enjoy reading.  That is one thing I truly miss about getting old and with waning eyesight.  I have been advised by many folks to try audio books, but I tried those once and my mind wanders because they are so tedious.  I've always been a fast reader, and the reader of an audio books speaks much more slowly and with great expression.  I just read fast with no expression (internally) that I can tell.  I listened to a part of an audio book and could have fallen asleep, it was so tedious and boring.  I then actually read the book which I found to be very interesting.

Steve, Meg, and their 2 kids are going to be gone next week, and asked Jeannie to stay at their house and take care of their two dogs.  It will be very quiet around here while they are away, especially for Rocky.  I may try to walk him a bit in the evenings.  So far I haven't walked any further than the mailbox!  I will have to constantly look where I place my feet, and try to avoid/be careful of cracks in the pavement, uneven pavement, etc.  We are in for another hot week of temps in the triple digits, so the walk will have to be done either very early in the morning or early evening.  I will be so glad when fall weather arrives.  Summer has never been my favorite season - I always loved spring, which we didn't get much of this year.  As my kids were fond of saying when they were younger, "You take what you get, and you don't pitch a fit!"  Speaking of walking, I walked a half mile on my treadmill last night.  I have doing way too much sitting with no exercise, so my legs hurt enough that I stopped at the half-mile mark.  I'll try to increase that today and then walk every single day (with a day off during the week for good behavior).

10 comments:

  1. Walking is good for you. Glad to hear you are getting in some steps. I have trouble with audio books too they put me to sleep. I think I'll be finished when I can't read anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They have always made me sleepy as well, but I think I should try them again. I never needed to listen to them before because I was such an avid reader, but maybe now it's time to change my opinion.

      Delete
  2. I think we have had this discussion before, and your mind was made up. But. I have been a reader my entire life. When I joined my knitting group in 2015, I discovered that nearly (Janet WILL HOLD her books!) all listen to books while they knit. Since then, I have listened to 100's of books. Often there is an option that allows the listener to adjust the speed of the reader. One of our group says she always listens faster. I am particularly addicted to books by English and Canadian writers whose books are read with British accents. My favorite author has written 16 books. I have listened to all of them TWICE! I know. To each his own. My life has been much enriched by audio books. And I usually get them free online from libraries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your reply. I have probably been too quick to write off the audio books. When I listened to one it just didn't do much for me, but that was back when I could read very well. I need to look into a way that I can enjoy books again by listening to someone else read them!

      Delete
    2. I am wondering who your favorite authors are?

      Delete
  3. I love audio books. And RunandRose is right. You can adjust the speed. I still read lots of books on my kindle but the audio books are especially nice when I want to block out noise and commotion. And I, too. Get most of my books from the library. I really hope you give them another try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they always say "you can't teach an old dog new tricks", but I'll give it one more chance! THANKS.

      Delete
  4. I'm not sure if you've tried a kindle. You can adjust the brightness, the font and size of print. If you can watch a movie, you can easily read. So many books are free on it. 50-70 dollars. You can use your library card and download library books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a kindle that I haven't used in quite a while. I found that I had to enlarge the print so much, that I was constantly having to turn the page. That was so annoying that I just gave up on it.

      Delete
    2. Dave Davis I didn't know you could add library books to a Kindle. And I never found free books either. I switched to a Walmart e-reader

      Delete