Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, July 8, 2019

My backyard in summer

This great big beautiful back yard doesn't do much for me in the heat of the Sacramento summer.  When I walk through it so I can clean up after Rocky, the "grass" crunches under my feet.  So I try to stay up close to the house and my garden, and when I water the garden I get a small part of the grass around it watered as well. I can call it grass, but it's mostly crabgrass and weeds.  I don't know what to do about it, and hate to pay a landscaper to make it better as I don't own the property.  Mainly I try to just focus on the garden, but I'm going to need professional advice on how to get rid of the "sticker" plants that grow in abundance.  I get those annoying stickers in my socks whenever I walk out there, and Rocky got one in his nose.  I saw him shaking his head frantically trying to dislodge it, and I was able to remove it before he inhaled it further.  I gave him a dose of Benadryl and he slept for most of the day!

Speaking of the garden, I am getting so impatient for something to happen.  I have lots of big yellow flowers on the squash plants, and when I was out looking at them I saw a bee buzzing among the flowers so I'm sure they are being polinated, but so far nothing I recognize as a yellow squash or green zucchini has formed.   I did notice a whole lot of cherry tomatoes that are almost ready to be picked.  This past weekend I gave Jeannie several tomatoes including some of the cherry variety.  in recent years I've noticed that I get indigestion when eating tomatoes, although not from heirloom tomatoes I've bought in the grocery.  Next year I am going to grow only heirloom seeds of everything.

My son Steve may come over on Wednesday and rototill the rest of the garden plots, so I will have a lot to do to make them suitable for planting my fall garden.  It will be nice to watch for something else to grow besides tomatoes and zucchini.  I also planted marigold seeds along the sides of the garden beds as well as along the front walkway, and have never gotten a single flower bud.  The plants are growing and look healthy, but I don't think the flowers should take that long to pop out.  Like I've said, this whole effort has been a learning experience for me, and I will know how to do things better next season.

I remember the old days when I was a kid; my mom always grew tomatoes and got a great yield from the plants, although I don't remember her fussing a whole lot with them, worrying about removing the sucker shoots, or anything like that.  She always reaped a huge amount, although she might have put more effort into it than I recall.  I am the oldest of 8, so I'm sure she had several other kids on hand and I don't know how she found much time to devote to growing tomatoes.   I only have one youngster to worry about, and he eats whatever I put down around the tomato plants - coffee grounds, eggshells, plant food, etc.  Sometimes I don't know what to do with that boy!


6 comments:

  1. I'm glad I don't have a lawn in this heat all you get are weeds and stickers, and like you said it just crunches under your feet. But I would love to have a garden of some kind but to use that much water here it makes me feel guilty. Your garden will yeild you some veggies soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I should be getting squash soon, and have already given Jeannie some of the tomatoes, which she reports are delicious. I picked one for myself this evening and will eat it tomorrow. I don't use that much water that it makes me feel guilty. I may have to eventually find other ways to get water - I read where someone said to take some of the water from the washing machine final rinse, and use it on the garden. I think I should be able to find creative ways to gather water. I'm pretty conservative with all utilities, but I'm sure I could catch some water that otherwise flows down the drain.

      Delete
    2. When I had a garden many, many years ago I used the washing machine water from the washing and rinsing. The garden was beautiful but the machine was out on a porch and could run it right to the garden. If you put out some buckets to catch rain water that would be a great way to get extra water. Just my 2 cents LOL

      Delete
    3. We won't see rain here until probably December, Also, my washing machine is on the other side of the house, so no help there. I could maybe bail it out by hand from the final rinse, and I might try that the next time I use the machine.

      Delete
  2. If you ever find out how to get rid of stickers I will certainly be interested. While the cats do a good job of removing them themselves I sometimes have to remove them from their tails.

    I can tell you are so into your garden because you are already planning your fall garden.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to get rid of all the weeds in my yard that grow stickers. It would be too big a job for me as a renter to take on myself. I have never liked desert or desert climates because of all the plants with thorns and stickers

    Planning my falln garden is what keeps me sane and feeling alive.

    ReplyDelete