Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, July 25, 2019

As if it isn't hot enough

I just looked ahead at the forecast for the next 2 weeks and see that this weekend the temps will rise to 104-105 degrees.  I don't do well in the heat, nor does my mood or frame of mind.  I can barely spend more than a few minutes at a time in my garden, and early in the morning would be a good time except I walk Rocky then before it gets too hot.  He spends most of his time indoors during the day, "resting" on the couch or the cool bathroom floor tile!

I just watered all my house plants and used a bit of liquid fertilizer.  They are looking spectacular, and some have grown so well I've been able to propagate  a few cuttings for other rooms in the house.  I get a lot of pleasure just looking at them, and have a dozen or more varieties that I'd like to add - but a little at a time.

 Last night Jeannie and I went to the gym for about an hour, and left Rocky at her house with Donald and the girls.  They spent most of the time splashing in the pool, and they told me Rocky will stand in the water on the wide steps, but he hasn't taken a plunge yet.  If I was there and he was at the edge of the pool I think I'd push him in.  At any rate he enjoyed the water and the camaraderie, and managed to get all wet.  I bought a small kiddy pool for the back yard and he sometimes likes to stand in it and splash.

 The zucchini is starting to come in, and since someone else is giving Jeannie a lot of it from their garden, I'm stuck with all of mine.  I'm going to do a stir fry again and try to use most of it.  I don't like it soggy or overcooked, so I add it last so as to get it just warmed up a bit.  If I make a lot of stir fry, I can probably save some to eat cold.  The squash plants are so beautiful I was thinking I'd grow a much larger patch of them in the future, but I'd better think about how I can use them.  It's not like how you can freeze a carrot or make sauce with tomatoes.  I found my recipe for zucchini quiche but have to get in the mindset to make the crust and have flour all over the place.  I haven't made pie crust in years, but I'm sure I won't ever lose my touch!  There is not much incentive to bother with it for one person.  Yes, I could buy a ready-made crust, but I wouldn't be happy with it.  I learned to make pie crust from watching my grandmother and my mother, and I'll have to say I could hang in with the best of them!  I've taught my daughter-in-law (in NY) and my daughter, and theirs is right up there with the pros!  It would break my heart if I tried to make it now and it wasn't perfect, so maybe I should just let it go, and forget zucchini quiche or chocolate pie!

Talking about food makes me hungry, so I'll just go fix my stir fry and get rid of some zucchini before I have more to harvest.  

 Ms. Belinda, here is a photo of my snake plant.  My phone doesn't take the best pictures, but you get the idea.  The leaves, or spikes, are sort of thick and leathery to the touch. 



Hope everyone can stay cool!

13 comments:

  1. Gee - your weather is getting right up there with ours. We spend a lot of time indoors with the air on. I always made zucchini bread with all our extra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's time for me to start looking at zucchini breasd recipes!

      Delete
  2. My neighbor gave me a snake plant awhile back. Huge. Later I dumped it out and cut it apart, giving me 9 pots worth. Those grew huge, so often I set one by the curb. They were taken very fast. Tomorrow I will grate many zucchini for daughter to make bread in coming months. Slicing, breading and frying is another good way w/zucchini0 thin fried green tomatoes.We are all juggling time since everyone is overwhelmed with jobs and such and the harvest unbelievable since using the chicken manure. Today was My green bean day. Staggering & wobbling weary now. Eat hearty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to repot my snake plant soon, but want to give it at least another week to get used to its new location. Where did you get chicken manure - do you or someone in your family keep chickens? I suppose you can buy it but wonder if it works as well.

      Delete
    2. Neighbor has a passel of chickens i.e. hundreds. Turkey,duck geese. Never known one can buy it but highly possible. Also, start a mulch pile, doesn't take long for nature to enrich your soil - leaves, grass, veggie scraps - never meat,grease. Living with nature - I'd have it no other way. Creation gave us everything mankind needs. Monsanto gives us those picture-perfect grass lawns! Also, walking barefoot connects us to the earth's energy. Try that feeling sometime.

      Delete
    3. I agree with you totally, although I will never walk barefoot indoors or out. When I was a really small child, probably around 3 yrs old, I was barefoot in the grass and stepped on a bee. I've never wanted to go barefoot since!

      Delete
  3. I love fresh zucchini out of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so good, isn't it. I made another stir fry for lunch and used a couple of zuchinni, and ate too much!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for the picture of the "snake plant". I have seen them before but had no idea that was their name.

    Hope you can use up all your zucchini before it goes bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I won't let it go bad, but I'll probably get tired of eating it. Right now I see that I will have to pick some yellow squash in the next day or two, and wonder if you can make bread with it. I don't see why not.

      Delete
  5. We always called that plant mother in laws tongue. You can make so many things with zucchini, I make zucchini noodle' and add a littel olive oil to the frying pan and cook it up like that then add sauce some times put some shrimp in it. I eat it raw and put it in salads. Cut them in half and sprinkle a little garlic powder, salt pepper and pamesan cheese and bake them @ 350 for about 15 - 20 min, you can even add a little bread crumbs for some crunch, then spray with olive oil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate all the suggestions for using this vegetable. I recently sent my oldest granddaughter a "spiralizer" which makes "noodles" from zucchini. They come out in a long curly Ispiral and can be used in place of pasta. I won't let any of my zucchini or yellow squash go to waste as I love them both. I will probably get tired of them before the season ends, however.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete