Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, July 5, 2019

Glad That's Over With!

I'm not a big celebrator to begin with, and I'm sure not proud of the way people are being kept in confinement the border.  I watched a news clip yesterday of some of those places, and no matter how one feels about immigration, it is a disgrace to keep children and adults confined in such horrible conditions.  I felt sadness at the holiday knowing how brutally the country can treat immigrant children - it's certainly nothing to be proud of.

I can't say I like fireworks, but they are a given at certain times of the year.  I was surprised that Rocky didn't seem to be as bothered  as some dogs are.  He was curious, obviously didn't like the noise, confused, and just wanted it to be done with.

I am thrilled every time I look at my garden and see the number of squash blossoms.  Even one of the zuchini plants  has a blossom this morning.  I've been watching youtube videos showing innovative ways to cook squash.




 And of course the tomatoes:

I've tried to grow basic herbs from seed at least twice this summer - basil, sage, and parsley.  I've never had anything even sprout, so I think I will just buy some herbs at the grocery and try to root them myself.  I am probably not patient enough as I understand that herb seeds take a long time to sprout.

We are in for a heat wave over the coming days and weeks.  This is the worst of living in Sacramento, when most of the grass turns a golden brown (thus the name "The Golden State") and the heat is so intense it becomes difficult to breathe.  Even Rocky doesn't want to go outside for more than a few minutes at a time.

I'd better get on with my day.  I hope you all have a good day today and a great weekend coming up.

6 comments:

  1. You and I have so much in common Gypsy I think in real life we would be good friends if we did not live so far away from one another.

    Yesterday I felt so sad for the same reason you underscore. No matter your stance on immigration or your political party affiliation we are human and I can not help but ask myself when did it become OK to treat children with such cruelty and disdain.

    We have a large parade to boost the ego of one individual and no one in the administration can tell us the taxpayers its cost? Yet we cannot provide people under the custody of CBP with soap, toothpaste or a shower. We make people drink out of a toilet...shameful!

    I am glad that Rocky was not afraid of all the fireworks. Your garden is so nice and rightly so your pride and joy.

    At least the celebrations are over in your area. Last night I was surprised the firework poppers in the neighborhood called it a night at 11:55 p.m. I do not believe that will be the case tonight or tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comments. I struggled when writing the last blog as I try to stay out of political comment. I just couldn't let this go without mentioning this situation, which bothers me so badly that I couldn't even celebrate the 4th of July this year. I almost feel like we should dynamite the Statue of Liberty, as those words mean absolutely nothing today. But I'm trying to achieve a more positive attitude today, and think of the wonderful people I know who are the heart and soul of the United States.

      You and I have a great deal in common. Maybe we were sisters in a former life!

      Delete
  2. I'm with you on this disgusting way they are treating these children and adults. What has this country come to.

    My daughter gave me a basil seed and growing container for Christmas, I followed the directions and put in a window with morning sun. It took forever to germinate, in the mean time I couldn't remember where I put the kit so I could give it plant food. Well by time I found it they had just turned into these no bigger than a strand of hair and died. I wanted to make a recipe and called for fresh basil so when I went shopping today I bought a small plant.
    Stay cool

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was reading today - that herb seeds take much longer to germinate. I have some parsley in a glass of water on my kitchen windowsill, and also some cilantro. The basil got really droopy and I knew it would never make it until morning. It's all trial and error with growing things, isn't it.

      Delete
  3. You should try Zucchini Bread. My customers raved "how delicious". Grate and freeze your extra zucchini for winter use. So pleasing to know your enthusiasm for your new existence. The move good for Rocky too or is that him maturing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is probably one of the first things I'm going to try when the zucchini starts coming in. I'm saving zucchini recipes and look forward to trying them.

      I think Rocky is maturing week by week. He had more doggy contact when we lived at the old place, and I feel bad that he doesn't have it here.

      Delete