Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Back home and planning!

I'm planning for my eventual move - looking at the things I will be needing, which is a lot!

Rocky really took a turn for the better since the trip, but some of it was my realization that he actually knows the command "heel" and can follow it - mostly.  When I leave him in the house as I did today when drying laundry, he made a total and terrible mess.  Also, Joe drove me to get blood work done this morning and when I got back my house was a mess of chewed paper.  Nothing too bad, but then I found the cap to my bottle of prednisone that I've been taking for the itchiness.  It took me a while to find the bottle which still had some pills in it - I think there might be 2 or 3 of them gone.  I've been watching him and he is doing ok, I think.  From the way he chews everything in sight though, he might be acting like he's on steroids!  Actually he is still sleeping a lot because of all the lost sleep on our mini vacation.

I enjoyed the trip overall, although the distance isn't to my liking these days, traffic was really slow about 2/3 of the way back and then it cleared up, and of course Rocky is obnoxious when he's around a lot of people.   He loves people and just can't help showing it by jumping, licking, etc.  It bothers me more than anyone else.

I'm back to the decision to move to the duplex when it becomes available sometime around May.  I have so much to do to get this place ready to sell, as well as get things I will need for the new place.  I will use mostly the old furniture I have since Rocky would mess up anything new.  With 3 bedrooms to fill, I will probably take all of my ex husband's bedroom furniture.  I've been using a chest of drawers, but will now have room for the triple dresser and queen sized bed.   Ara is especially sentimental about not getting rid of that furniture and it's been sitting in Jeannie's garage so I will do her a favor as well as myself.  And it will make a nice guest bedroom!   I'm not crazy about the 50's style, but they made that stuff well and made it to last.

There is also a small garden patch in the back yard of the duplex, so I've been poring over seed catalogs and might try my luck.  I've never had much of a green thumb, but was too busy raising my 4 kids when they were little to have enough time to spend gardening.  That was my excuse anyway, and I'm sticking to it.   Why do I even think I can magically turn into a gardener at age 78?  If anyone has a clue you can tell me, but I figure it's the fact that there's no fool like an old fool!

It looks like we have some rainy days ahead, which will clean off the driveway so I'm glad about it.  Rocky pees on it as soon as he gets out the side door, and I am constantly using a scrub brush and pine sol.  The rain does as well and is a lot easier.

I am really tired this afternoon and will be so glad when it's time to go to bed.  Have a nice evening.

 
 

12 comments:

  1. "With 3 bedrooms to fill" Just because a room is there does not mean you have to fill it with stuff to be cleaned. Simplify simplify simplify

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, although I use the term "fill" loosely. I'm actually pretty spartan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. With regards to Rocky and his training. Labs want to please that is there number one prior in life - please their owner. Now that he knows "heel," he will need to be taught "stay and sit." We always got our girls (3 Labs over the years) to sit by pointing to them and then pushing their butts down. Same thing with stay. Just takes a few days for them to pick up on what you want as Labs are smart and pick up commands easily. This will require diligence on your part in continuing to re-enforce the commands. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is mostly doing very well, however, I won't see perfection at 7 months - with another 7 he may be less obnoxious. He's fine except when he sees another person or pet and he pulls me from limb to limb to try to get to them. He's just a friendly dog! I'll keep him though, and hope I live long enough to see him turn into a super pet.

      Delete
  4. Like you would with small children, keep all kinds of medicine and any thing that would poison a dog, way up out of reach or locked in a cupboard. It will be nice for both of you to have a back yard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure thought they were out of reach, but now he puts his paws up on the counter top and has grown a little more so that he can see everything and just about reach everything. I've learned my lesson, I hope.

      Delete
  5. If the meds were bad for him you would surely know by now, but keep your eye on him. My friend had dropped some pills on the floor and of course my guy was on that in a heart beat it was bad and I thought I would lose him for sure. He kept throwing up foam and bile and couldn't even keep down water. He spent the day at the vet and came out of it just fine. But it sure was scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He hasn't shown any difficulties whatsoever and I'm wondering if he even chewed more than one at the most. I may find a pill or two one of these days that fell out of his reach.

      Delete
  6. Can't you confine him, either in a kennel, bathroom or other small area while you're gone? Not meaning to be judgmental, just wonder why you continue to let him destroy your home every time you leave for a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a crate that he enters and leaves at will. If I close and lock the door to it he barks incessantly until he is let out. My neighbor remarked about it one day that I was away for a few hours, and I hate to annoy my neighbors as our houses are all so close to one another. I've never had a dog who was anything like this before, and I'm learning as I go along.

      Delete
  7. Wish I could offer some suggestions but the only dog I have ever owned had the opposite problem. He rarely barked so when he did I knew it was for a good reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rocky barks when he needs to go outside, but my daughter is better at catching it than I am. At home he might bark and walk to the door but she understands his bark at her house.

      Delete