Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, January 25, 2018

Moving right along

The medical people are certainly not wasting any time - they have set up my schedule for 4 wks of IV infusions, and I will need to go for blood and lab work 1-2 days before each infusion.  I'm very anxious to get started.

Several commenters mentioned the infusion process who sounded like they have pretty much knowledge about it.  I'd like to ask that anyone who works in this field, who has been through this type of treatment or have a loved one or friend who has undergone the treatment, to share info you have on what I might expect.  I fully realize that everyone is different and their reactions can be different.  I've had experience taking my ex-husband for some of his chemo treatments and can picture what that was like, but it was done in a section of the oncologist's office; I'm sure this will be a lot different.

I am eager to begin the treatments (and successfully reach the end of them).  I feel very hopeful and happy right now, and am so glad something positive is finally going to be done.  All the waiting to see an oncologist, the jerking around by the medical system for months, and then the interminable waiting for test results, is coming to the point right now, and I'm ready! 

I am being very lazy today - slept in until about 9am!    I would love to get my internal clock adjusted so that I get up earlier and get sleepy earlier - the morning is so much better for me in every way than the evening.   I usually wake up around 5am and get up to take the thyroid pill, but since I'm not supposed to eat or drink anything after for at least an hour after taking it, I just go back to bed for a while.  This morning was no exception and I was shocked to see that it was 9am when I finally got out of bed. 

I had a visitor last night; it made a lot of noise getting into the crawl space but soon quieted down.  It was making a strange noise, similar to the chirp of a cricket but at a much deeper tone, and lasting longer.  I have no idea what it is.  My son is going to fix it so that the opening is closed off, as well as make sure all the other skirting panels are secure.  I just hope every living thing gets the heck out before we close it up tight.

That's it for today.  I'm still debating about walking around the park but it's just a little cool to enjoy the walk.  There is usually enough of a breeze to make it very uncomfortable for me.  My thyroid condition makes me cold most of the time, even indoors, and even a slightly chilly breeze does me in! 

Thanks again for all the supportive comments you've written.  I cherish them, and it reinforces my attitude and hope I can get through this ordeal.

12 comments:

  1. I had the six hour infusions. Different drug. I wish I could convey how much it isn't worth your anxiety. The Benadryl will relax you. If you start to get restless, they will give you a little Ativan. Don't turn them down. They help. Chairs are recliners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me realize I need to do an attitude adjustment. I have always been averse to taking any kind of medication, although as one gets older it is inevitable that some meds are needed. I think I will take anything they want to give me to relax me and make everything go smoother. Thanks very much for your comments and support.

      Delete
    2. You can also eat, drink, go to the bathroom after all they are pumping liquid into you. There usually was a couple of people in there to talk to. Don't think of it as poison think of it as little fighters going to kill the bad guys. Take your laptop, they will have wifi. Take a small blanket and snuggle up and take a nap. We'll be here for you so let us know how you're doing. You can do this.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I've thought of that and it's possible, although it is unlike any frog I've ever heard.

      Delete
  3. Why don't you go pay a visit to the infusion center now - they will show you around a little bit and you will feel more at ease. It's kind of like a medical spa atmosphere of peace and healing. Usually, a candy striper or some other volunteer to offer a pillow or coffee or just a smile and soft words. On the day of your treatment wear loose clothing and dress in layers so you can adjust as needed. Take your big print crossword puzzle book or sketch pad and a couple pencils. I'm sure someone from your family will drive you both ways and hopefully sit with you during treatment. Have plenty of very easy to fix food in your house and stay hydrated with water and Gatorade. Take whatever anti-anxiety drugs they suggest. Stay positive - lots of people care about you - and you have a big, loving, supportive family. You will do great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely will take some crossword puzzles although they might make me sleepy! Also my Nook e-reader. I know I will be ok and get through the 4 weeks of treatment.

      Delete
  4. Such good advice you are getting. So great to have people who have been down the road you are walking before you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has helped so much and makes it easier for me to face the coming weeks.

      Delete
  5. I agree that the atmosphere is very much like a spa. There are usually many "cuddly" things to make you comfortable, and liquids/snacks to get you through the time. We always brought our own substantial food, but others seemed to have relatives go get fast food for them to eat while sitting there. The smell was very unappetizing for us, but to each his own.

    The personnel are exceptionally solicitous and will do anything possible to relieve your anxiousness about the procedure. They totally understand how strange it is to a person just starting up, and are kind and gentle.

    It is not unusual to feel chilled from the fluid entering your veins, so don't be afraid to ask for a blanket. If you have a favorite hat that you wear when you go out of doors for a walk, wear that. You will be surprised at how much this helps. The main things to keep warm are your head and your torso - i.e. your organs. When push comes to shove, your organs will suck up all your warmth to keep themselves going, and your extremities will pay the price. So if your hands are cold, cover up your tummy! ;->

    If you have a down vest, take it along. If you don't want to wear it, at least put it across your chest to retain warmth in that area.

    Virtual hugs,

    Judie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks to you (and anyone else who mentioned food) for the recommendations. Two of the Fridays I'll start treatment at 11am, and the other 2 treatments will begin at 8:45 am, so I definitely will be hungry. I didn't really give it a thought - I often carry a protein bar, tangerine, or similar snack, but I will need to consider foods for lunch. I'm now working on a shopping list! I'm always cold so I'm glad to hear they will have blankets. I normally wear a fleece jacket all day long (in the house as well as outside), but one arm will be out of the sleeve and otherwise occupied. I'm just glad I don't have to wait much longer - only one week from today I will begin treatments and then I'll know what to expect for the next three.

      Delete