Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Trying to be a busy bee today!

Since I have to deal with a couple of medical procedures tomorrow morning, I'm trying to get as much done today as I can, and I've tackled laundry!  I have been delaying for some time the washing of summer sheets as well as towels.  Today is the day I'm going to get caught up!  I sure wish I had a dryer here in my house, but eventually I will get one.  I'm lucky to have a washer at home.  I really miss being able to line dry my clothes & towels as the dryer gets to be expensive.  But nothing smells good these days when it's been line dried, and I noticed that since the planes started dropping their poison particles from the skies.  

My brother and his wife (Steve and Nancy) are working on a genealogy project, and when I met them at Denny's earlier this week they handed me a box containing a voice recorder, plus a list of about 36 questions relating to my memories.  I've been alive longer than any of my siblings, so I have a lot to tell and I hope I'm not overdoing it.   

One period of my life I'd rather not talk about though is my teens, up to about 17 or 18 yrs of age.  I had a rough time and have tried to forget all about it.    I have written all my answers down on paper to make it easier to record the memories and not forget something I wanted to say.  Now I'm ready to record, and I will omit most of the question about being 16. 

Many of my siblings loved the house we finally settled in and stayed for years, in a suburb called Silverton.  I detested it, so while they may have wonderful memories of school, church, friends, etc., I have tried to forget all about it.

Every time I have to walk over to the laundry room the sky seems to be more cloudy.  I think we are in for about two days of rain, so I'm glad I'm getting this laundry job done and won't have to worry about it for a while.  I usually only do it every two or three weeks unless I want to wear something that needs laundering. 

It's time to take my last load over to dry, and fold the stuff that is ready to bring home.  I'm going to be plumb worn out when I'm finished!

I may not write anything tomorrow, but maybe I will if the mood strikes me.  Hope you all are close to being ready for the holidays.  I don't think I'm there yet! 

8 comments:

  1. Hope your medical procedures go well. It is good to write down your memories of long ago. . . not that you are that old or anything (grin). I should do it, too. Everyone should. That way their great grand kids will be able to know a little more about where they came from. My great grand son is growing up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope some people find my memories interesting. No one in my entire family, except maybe my next brother, Bill (3 yrs younger than I am) would understand how things were back in the old days. I'm glad I had the privilege of living through those old days.

      Delete
  2. I only do the laundry about every 3 weeks too. When the underwear drawer is empty or I'm tired of washing them out by hand. LOL! I really think you should tell how you felt about that house. Your siblings need to hear what your world was like there, not just their own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The underwear drawer is the signal for doing laundry! I think they all know how I feel, and if they don't they will know when this project is finished. I'm the first to record all my memories because I'm the oldest, and I imagine we will all enjoy reading each others' answers to the same questions. I'm ready to use the voice recorder, but believe it or not I am afraid of it. I tried speaking the first part out loud and you should hear the stuttering and stammering. I don't know when I've ever had problems with words, and I had no trouble writing them this time, nor would I have any problem speaking face to face with them. It's the damn recorder that has me spooked!

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean by using a recorder. It's akin to how we sometimes react to pictures of ourselves. We seem to know how we talk and sound until our voices are recorded and we sit back and wonder who the heck that is talking. And your right, talking to someone face to face or writing something is way different than talking into a machine and having it come back sounding alright. Maybe it's something to get used to and if you have a lot of memories you will soon get used to it. I think we all have areas in our lives we don't talk about much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really agree with all you wrote, but especially that last sentence. I hated teen-age and don't even want to remember it,

      Delete
  4. I need to tackle the laundry but with the cold and rainy weather we have been experiencing the laundromat by the house has been packed. Yesterday folks parked across the street in the empty lot because they ran out of parking space.

    I started writing a dairy when I was nine years old. In my teenage years I moved up to spiral notebooks many whom I had to burn. Still have some of my adult years somewhere in my house in Houston and I eventually will have burn them as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember ever keeping a diary, but have kept journals of my travels on the appalachian trail, living in Ireland, etc. I think I've mostly written to be read by others, and the private stuff I've destroyed!

      Delete