Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, December 22, 2017

Dogs and chocolate or corn

I've been reading a lot of dire warnings in the past few days that chocolate or corn can kill a dog who ingests either of these.

I'm no expert but I'd like to offer some anecdotal evidence of my own.

When my kids were small we popped up tons of popcorn and had some of my family over to string the popcorn.  I don't remember the exact number of kids but there were lots of them including my own.  Anyone who has strung popcorn knows how messy it can be, but I figured I would vacuum up all the little bits at the end of the evening.  Everyone had a wonderful time, especially the children.  I suddenly noticed our mongrel dog was inching around the room cleaning all the popcorn bits up for me.  She lived and didn't even feel bad the next day.

As for chocolate, when I lived in Northern Virginia I had a black lab, and anyone knows that labs will eat absolutely anything.  On Christmas Eve I set out last minute little items around the tree, including a package of Hershey Kisses for each person, in their plastic bags and wrapped with Christmas paper.  In the morning all I found was the wrapping paper.  I never found the plastic nor the foil wrappings on the individual kisses.  I also never saw any evidence of it outside, but I could have missed the bright foil wrapping of christmas hershey kisses.  He was never sick or even lethargic - just his normal nosy Labrador self.

So those are my two "things that will kill dogs in an instant" stories.  Maybe if either one of them was a pure-bred dog they may have had more delicate digestive systems.  I also remember when I backpacked about 800 miles of the Appalachian Trail with the black lab.  I kept a journal which I sent to someone who posted it online for me, and my dog Smoky became a trail hero - people sent me packages of treats for him, including beef jerky and other things that wouldn't have made me feel so good.  

So I'd advise keeping popcorn and chocolate away from your dogs during the Christmas season (and at all times), but if you have a lab, all I can say is "Good luck"!

18 comments:

  1. Most dogs will eat anything but there are some that are real picky. The picky ones are few and far between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a dog who wouldn't eat anything they could find. I've also had mostly large dogs who may have a stomach large enough to be lined with cast iron!

      Delete
  2. They also say don't feed onions to a dog. Our German Shorthair loved onions...makes you wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many dogs would surprise their owners at what they would eat!

      Delete
  3. My Yorkies LOVE popcorn! And the little one we had years ago did, too. I make every effort to keep chocolate away from them, but, heck, when I pop corn they come running. It isn't something I do regularly; it is a treat for them and for me! Have a nice Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's amazing. I always heard it was dangerous to give a dog corn in any form, but that could just be an old wives tale. Some dogs are more prone to stomach upsets, but a lot of them can eat anything1

      Delete
  4. Well, ours do not ever get chocolate unless I forget about something in my purse. But they eat corn quite often. It doesn't get digested very good and usually comes out whole (a lot like my system) but it hasn't hurt them. We also stay away from onions and grapes. Since they are both old with heart issues I'm extra careful with them. Boy do they love peanut butter cookies. Have a very Merry Christmas Gypsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think maybe I've lived with the old wives' tales for so long I actually take them as total truth. Also, some breeds are probably more resiliant than others. I hope you and Jim have a merry christmas as well!

      Delete
  5. You forgot to mention that they will eat their own excrement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that, but have never caught any of my dogs doing it.

      Delete
  6. Chocolate will kill a dog. Any dog. You really should have gone to the vet, but you lucked out so all was well. Of course some dogs will eat poo. We've not, thank goodness, had one that does. All dogs love kitty poo. Frozen pup cicles. Just don't give them chocolate. :-)

    Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my dad always said, and I tried my best to keep chocolate away from our dogs. The worst trouble was with the lab, but he ate anything and everything and never seemed to be bothered. When we hiked on the Appalachian trail other hikers were constantly giving him foods out of their packs that they didn't like so much, and nothing seemed to bother him. I think labs are special in so many ways, and I sure do miss him!

      Delete
  7. It is the chemical "theobromine" in the chocolate that is harmful to dogs. My husband put my daughter's dog in a room not knowing there was a wrapped box of chocolates as a Xmas gift. Dog ate them all. It was Christmas Day. My daughter, a vet tech, called her boss and was advised to give peroxide to make the dog throw up. She had to mix it with a bit of orange juice but it worked like a charm & he was fine. Raisins are bad for dogs also.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I know is I don't remember my lab ever being ill from anything, and he ate anything he could get - typical lab behavior. I didn't give him anything I thought might harm him, but he managed to find what he liked.

      Delete
  8. Well I don't know about chocolate with dogs but my beagles would eat anything that wasn't nailed down and ate popcorn on a regular basis and lived to very ripe old ages so I'm not sure I believe any of it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beagles and labs must have a huge tolerance for foods they probably shouldn't eat.

    ReplyDelete