Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, October 10, 2016

Is this a holiday?

Sorry to say I've been checking the mailbox today and wonder why I haven't seen the mailman.  Is it Columbus Day?  In the old days I would know that Oct. 12 was Columbus. Day, but I hate these "move it to Monday" holidays.  Maybe it isn't, because I drove to my chiropractor appointment this morning through an elementary school zone that was in session.

We will be getting some cooler temperatures soon, and hopefully some rain.  I'll be happy to see the rain if it actually gets to the ground without evaporating!

I'm feeling a lot better after the dental work except the injection sites are bothering me a little more now.  It's just something I have to go through.

Not much has happened today - I did some laundry which I will finish tomorrow, and just stayed quiet.  I got a small canvas primed and ready for my Wednesday night art class, and I wish I could just get started on it now.  I think I will wait and do this one in class, but I just might begin to work at home as well.

It looks like a beautiful sunset coming up, but I can't see the best part of it because of the trees and houses in the way.

I hope to get back to the gym tomorrow and start walking again.  I've been really lax the past week, but I felt it was justified to skip it for a few days.  I hate the break in my momentum though, and it will be like starting all over when I do go back.


12 comments:

  1. Yes today was a holiday. But it's one of those that only the Feds and banks take off. Hopefully your mouth will quit hurting in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes today was a holiday. But it's one of those that only the Feds and banks take off. Hopefully your mouth will quit hurting in a day or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When you are retired you lose track of those things!

      Delete
  3. When you get to our age, every day is a holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the truth! I don't even get excited about weekends any more, except that I often see my children & grandkids on the weekends.

      Delete
  4. When I was a kid (back in the dark ages) we never got Columbus Day off. Dad did, because he worked the DoD.

    Dad would sit at the kitchen table drinking coffee asking us why we weren't having a 'proper breakfast' (two slices of peanut-butter toast and a glass of chocolate milk) or why we weren't properly dressed for the weather (extreme weather parka and mukluks). The other two days were Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Columbus Day wasn't celebrated (except maybe in NY) when I was a kid. My dad worked nights and in the morning he would drink his coffee and play with whomever was the baby at the time in the high chair. My dad was always in a good mood, but stern sometimes.

      Delete
  5. I didn't realize it either. I was going to go down town to take care of some business at the county and I called first to ask a question of course no one answered and I left a mesage. My firend then informed me it might take a day for that reply. She then explained it was a holiday.
    Hope you get some much needed rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am desperate to see some rain. The trees and bushes need it, the river needs it, and it would get rid of the layer of dust on everything, if only temporarily.

      Delete
  6. I knew it was Columbus day because I think honoring that man who enslaved Natives in the Caribbean is awful. Some places have changed it to Indigenous People's Day and rightly so. Berkeley has since 92, Phoenix and South Dakota do. It's spreading and it's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I knew it was Columbus day because I think honoring that man who enslaved Natives in the Caribbean is awful. Some places have changed it to Indigenous People's Day and rightly so. Berkeley has since 92, Phoenix and South Dakota do. It's spreading and it's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but he wasn't the only one. The Spanish, the English, Dutch, and all the Europeans. Africa has never recovered from the devastation caused by European colonization. I'm sure we've done similar, even though on a smaller scale.

      Delete