Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 7, 2015

Trip to the Mall - UPDATE

I don't do that very often, but I needed to get a new watchband and Sears has a watch repair shop in their store.  The man behind the counter changed the buckle on the band to chrome to match the watch, and had it installed and on my wrist in about two minutes.  I love that place because you can hardly find anyone to put a new band on a watch these days - the stores that sell them (such as Target) will not do the installation.

I then went across the street to Barnes & Noble, and bought some books for my grandson's birthday.  I browsed through thousands of books I think, and finally told a clerk what type of book I was looking for, and she immediately showed me what I wanted.  You don't get that kind of service online, folks.  I would have totally missed these books, and I am sure they will match Justin's age, reading skills, and personality better than anything I found myself.  I knew what I wanted but just didn't know where to look. 

I also got someone to help me find a book I heard about yesterday on C-Span2's "Book TV".  It's called "American Warlords" and was written by Johnathan Jordan.  I heard Mr. Jordan speak about the book and then take questions from the audience, and am very interested in reading it.  Unfortunately, they only have the hardcover book so far, and it's too big and heavy to carry on the plane; I'll wait and buy it when it comes out in paperback.  It seems like an excellent account of how men who were polar opposites in their politics and thinking, came together before and during the second World War to form a cohesive strategy and battle plans.

Listening to the author speak about the conditions at home before and during the war, such as rationing, was really interesting to me.  My parents went through it although I was too young to know or be affected by it, but I'm sure those times played a critical role in shaping my overall character and personality.  I just wonder if Americans today would accept the hardships and deprivations our parents and grandparents went through.

Now I'm back home and opened up the house to let some fresh air in.  I discovered a newspaper on my front porch, and remembered that I was signed up for Sunday and holiday delivery.  I thought yesterday's edition would be my last, but I have one more today.  I cancelled the delivery permanently because I can only read the darker printed headlines & titles, and it's too much of a struggle to read the smaller and lighter print.  They offered me an online subscription, but I cannot imagine reading an entire newspaper online.  As it is I look at the Google news headlines and keep up with some of the news, but there isn't anything that can beat holding a newspaper in my opinion.  The internet is good for a lot of things, but it would be a stretch to think that everything you want to know or read is best found online.  How often am I frustrated by something with black print on a dark blue background, or vice versa.   I'm to the point where I will be cutting back on the blogs I read as well, because I just find it too hard to deal with the colors.  I might add that everything is easier to read if the sunlight comes through the window in just the right spot, but that isn't a constant.  It's something I am beginning to accept as inevitable, and will deal w!ith it in the best way I can.

Oh, I almost forgot.  On my way into B&N I picked up a small book on display which was just meant for me to see (and buy):  "Salt, Lemons, Vinegar, and Baking Soda".  Does anyone believe this is just a coincidence, or did the little elves know I was coming! 

UPDATE:  Yes, Linda, I use white vinegar for cleaning.

7 comments:

  1. Maybe if you make a concoction of those ingredients and pour it on your weeds, they'll be 'cleaned' right out!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely knew you were coming. I love synchronicity! Pretty sure we'd all have to accept the hardships and deprivations if we faced what our parents did in WWII.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, it was destiny for you to find that book!
    If you said, I missed it, but did you say if you used white vinegar for cleaning?
    I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I quit reading newspapers about 10 years ago. Too hard on my eyes to read that small print & like you I have no interest in sitting in front of a computer to read a newspaper either. My main source fo news these days is simply TV. I don't have to strain my eyes to read anything & my hearing is still good so TV works for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm looking forward to getting a daily local paper if I ever end up in a long term place. I miss turning the pages, doing the crosswords, looking at the ads with my coffee cup nearby. And the Sunday paper is always a treat, with all the extras. And yes, we would all "make do" if we had to. At least our generation would, and probably our kids' generation, too. I don't know about the younger "ME" generations, though. It would be harder for them, they have had so much given to them. Oh, well, hopefully we'll never have to find out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find the font you use a bit hard to read. In the bold, large size there seems to be almost no space between the lines and it runs together in a big block of letters. Overall I agree that dark background with light print is sometimes hard to read too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. In my own blog, I fought hard against a darkish background with white letters, but in the end, found that was easier on my own tired old eyes than some of the more glaring light backgrounds. Since you frequently comment on my blog, I presume you are reading it, but wonder if it is a hard task for you. I would like to make my blog as legible as possible, thus would appreciate your input.

    Many thanks,

    Judie
     http://dorrieanne.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete