Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 28, 2015

Stamford, CT

We went to Stamford yesterday so the boys could take part in the "Reebok Sparta Race".  I had never heard of it before, which isn't surprising.  It is a really great idea, and at the Stamford event there was a Junior Division which my grandsons entered.  I'm not really sure if that's an option at all the events nation-wide, but I would think so. 

This event was held in a small park in the middle of Stamford, but the way the course was routed was truly ingeneous!  There are obstacles along the way - barriers to climb over, etc.  The race for the kids consisted of two laps, but if parents approved they were allowed to run an extra lap.  Most of the younger children had  one of their parents running the course with them, as did my son.  Each child that completed won a ribbon with a medal to be worn around the neck, and received headband, a t-shirt, and other small gifts.

I tried to take photos to show the course as well as the buildings of Stamford.  Here they are starting to line up.  (Click on photo to enlarge)











 One of the earlier groups had to run through a mud pit, and after the younger kids finished their run of course they had to splash around a bit in the dirt.  





It was a beautiful day for this event and the weather was just perfect!  Afterward we went to an Irish pub for lunch with another family.  The food was delicious and the decor was pretty spiffy.  I'll have to say that most of the pubs I've been to in Ireland were a little less classy, but probably more friendly and fun.  But then I'm biased!  I'm trying to eliminate most sugar and carbs from my diet, so I had a salad that was excellent.  The sandwiches and burgers looked good, but I remained virtuous and committed to my diet!  (No bread; greens, tomato, avocado, grilled chicken, and a carrot ginger dressing.)

The drive to Stamford was beautiful once we got off the highway and on to the side roads.  The scenery is actually great even on the highway as it is heavily treed on both sides of the roadways.  But the smaller roads were a bit winding, hilly, and passed some of the most beautiful homes and farms I've seen.  They are what you think of when you think "New England" although technically I believe we are not quite northern enough to be considered New England.

Stamford is quite a nice town - we passed the university and hospital, and then many of the large glass and steel office buildings alongside smaller and older buildings.  All in all, it is a very attractive place.

I know the quality of my photography is declining as fast as are my eyes.  I found it difficult to try to capture the intensity of the kids (and fathers) as they ran through the course, but they go by so quickly and I'm just too slow to get the action.  I had a wonderful day though and was totally whipped by the time I went to bed last night.  From all the standing and walking my legs ached, but this morning I feel great again!  The restorative power of sleep is amazing.

3 comments:

  1. Your family do such wonderful things with their childrean which in my eyes means you did a wonderful job raising yours. What a fun day and great time they must all have had. It's hard to take pictures of moving targets haha and these kids and dads were moving

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your pictures were fine. They clearly showed the variety of obstacles to be over come. I think this would not be a "race" for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It,s great that you interact so well with your family. Nice to see famylies so close together.

    ReplyDelete