Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 11, 2015

Glad the flight is over! UPDATE

I would love to say that after I return to Sac in October I won't ever get on another plane, but I'd better not be too hasty.   To begin with, security which is usually a breeze at the Sacramento airport, was a nightmare yesterday.  Long lines and much more stringency made it difficult for me.  I finally boarded the plane and had a bulkhead seat which provides great leg room but no place to set your carry on, so it had to be stowed in an overhead compartment.  I managed to grab a package of pop tarts before I put the bag away but had nothing else to snack on during the flight.

Even though it was raining the Chicago skyline was spectacular, and we had flown north, so came into Chicago over Lake Michigan after passing Green Bay.  My guess was that the northern route may have avoided the worst of the weather?  

Chicago airport is usually no problem  considering the heavy traffic, and it's normally not bad getting in and out of there.  But this time, we had to wait on the tarmac until a gate was free, and I didn't have much time (about 45 min.) between my flights.  As it turned out I had to walk pretty fast to get to the other side of the airport.  It must have been the same for many of the outgoing flights because a lot of folks were running to catch their connections, but pulling big carts on wheels behind them and weaving in and out of people ahead of them.  Not a good situation and I was breathing heavy by the time I got to my gate.

I boarded right away and again had a bulkhead seat, the first in the plane.  This smaller plane had only one seat on the left (starboard) side, and two on the opposite side.  

UPDATE:
Did I actually write that the left was the starboard side of the plane?  Of course everyone knows the left is the port side, and I should have done a better job of proofreading!
 
Because the plane was already filled I had to put my carry-on in the overhead about a third of the way back.  I knew it would be a problem de-planing and I was going to be late anyway.

Again there was a delay in taking off and we sat on the tarmac for longer than usual, but once we were in the air we made good time and arrived 5-10 min. late, in the rain.  It was good to see the rain and this part of NY needs it.

On the first flight (from Sac to Chicago) there was a family with 3 young children, including a 2 year old who didn't like sitting still and made her voice heard throughout the flight.  When we landed in Chicago, they hit the brakes and put on the reverse thrust (or whatever it's called), which makes a very loud noise.  As soon as the noise stopped, the little 2 year old called out "Thanks for the ride" to the pilot.  Everyone on the plane broke into laughter.

Well, that's enough about my troubles with flying.  I'm here, safe and sound, and they had a big meal in the works when I arrived, and which I needed desperately after going all day on just two pop tarts! I slept late this morning and don't know how the kids kept quiet enough that I didn't wake up before they left for school.   I'm going to take it easy today and plan to hit the treadmill first thing to work out some of the kinks of sitting all day on a plane.

8 comments:

  1. I remember the old saying, "If you have time to spare, go by air". I used to have to fly a lot, but don't anymore. SoI have not been on a plane for quite a few years. My wife comes from a family of pilots and when she was young, they had their own plane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the Gmail compose screen up in the right top next to the x that closes the screen, there is an angled arrow with points on each end... If you click on that arrow, it will expand the compose screen to almost all of your screen width...... That will make typing your response much easier...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope to never get on another airplane but I don't say for sure never. And flying used to be such a great experience and so much fun. Jim caught your starbosrd/port comment but he knew what you meant (not me).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope to never get on another airplane but I don't say for sure never. And flying used to be such a great experience and so much fun. Jim caught your starbosrd/port comment but he knew what you meant (not me).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you made it safely! I used to love flying (I didn't do much, but loved it) but haven't flown since 9/11. Long time. I'm not sure I'd want to go through all that stuff they require to get on a plane. I guess I will if I have to, but... Anyway, have a GREAT time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you made it safely too. I loved flying when it was friendlier and the were polite and served reasonable food. I haven't been on a plane in at least 10 years and am glad. But, if my daughter were across the country, you bet I'd fly. Have a great time with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My last flight on an airplane was to Tampa Florida & back & that was back in the late 90's I think. Thing I always disliked most about flying was being squished into the small seats with hardly room to even blink one's eyes. Other that that I never minded flying but if I never fly again that will be just fine.........................

    ReplyDelete
  8. Last time I had a flight was to NJ 28 yrs ago when my first grandchild was born. Yes arrived in Chicago late and had to run like heck to get to my next flight. Never have flown again and never will.
    But I'm glad you there safe and sound and enjoy your stay

    ReplyDelete