Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Pretty quiet here

I enjoyed reading all the comments about making Kombucha.  I am planning to get back to juicing when I return to CA, and don't know if I can handle two operations such as these.

I went to Nature's Pantry this morning to buy some more Kombucha, and now 7 bottles are lined up in the fridge.  I drink one bottle (16 oz) a day - and selected the Green-Green, and the Gingerade flavors.  I certainly haven't had even a hint of indigestion since I started drinking this product about 3 days ago.  That's the first thing I notice, and hope there are more good effects to come.

While at the store I inquired about the fact that I understood they had fresh juice available.  They directed me back to the deli where they indeed have a large juicing machine, and made me a delicious drink on the spot.  It's expensive though, but when I started thinking about the cost of all the fresh ingredients I use when making it, I can see why.  It's so healthy and refreshing, and I'd rather pay for fresh produce than most snacks, drinks, packaged foods, etc.  I'm getting over jet lag and my energy is returning little by little.

I'm driving my d-i-l's Sienna van, which I love, but I decided I'm not going to do a lot of driving this time.  When I do, I'll stick to the places close to home that I'm familiar with.  If I had my own car with me I might stray further afield, but probably not.  I'm noticing I don't enjoy driving at all any more, probably due to my worsening eyesight.  I have the requirement on my license that I wear glasses but I actually see better without them.  I think I need a new prescription, but the insurance won't pay for new glasses until the first of the year, and I'm hoping to just make it until then.  I have to have them for reading and usually just keep them on most of the time, which may or may not be a good idea.

There is a jigsaw puzzle in the works, and several new ones in boxes.  Again, my eyesight makes it easier to work the puzzles if I'm in direct sunlight, and the table isn't located in such a spot.

No wildlife in sight during the past week.  I don't know where the deer go to browse now, but they aren't coming through this yard at least while I'm observing.  I miss the foxes and hope the mama comes back to the same spot next year when she has a new litter of sweet little fox babies.

I'm signed on a list for available dogs, and I specified black lab or a mix with mostly lab.  I've been getting some good returns although most are young puppies.  I think I would prefer a puppy to an old dog as I didn't have good luck with the last older one.  I'm not sure if I can handle puppy energy though, and especially the chewing.  I raised Smoky from a tiny little pup, and he chewed away on my kitchen cabinets if I was gone; when Chili, Joe & Sarah's gorgeous Dobie was a pup she chewed the plaster in the walls.  I think Smoky did some of that as well.  There just isn't any getting around it I guess.  If a person can survive that first year, then it is much smoother sailing after that.

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you are thinking about another dog. No one loves you as unconditionally as you dog, that's for sure! And they are such good company.

    If and when I get another dog, as a companion for Katie, or when she is gone, I think I'll get another one that's past the puppy stage. A dog around 2 or 3 is usually house broken and a lot of them have been trained in the basic commands of stay, come, sit, stay, lie down, off. Katie was. It took a little time for me to figure that out. One by one I'd say Katie, stay! or Sit!, etc., and she WOULD! I was amazed and really happy. She was also leash trained. I really don't want to go through all the training again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is that dog list? In NY or CA? Are you sure about this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. If your glasses are for reading you shouldn't be wearing them all the time.

    I love my little Fred and he was about 2 or 3 when I got him and he was totally trained also. I know you like the bigger guys and wishing you good luck in finding one in that age range.

    Hope some wild life shows up before you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer to get a puppy, and devote the first year to being with him/her. if you have to leave them alone, be back in 15 or 20 minutes, and always say good bye when you leave. When I got my last puppy, I got up 2 or 3 times a night and took him outside for the first month, He caught on in no time. He had a chair where he could see out the front window when I left. He was part of the family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad your jet lag is going away. I agree that few things are as energizing as freshly juiced vegetables. It's interesting that I too used to balk at the prices for freshly done juice until I figured out how much I am spending in buying the vegetables for doing it myself. Expensive either way but delicious. Only problem for me is that I also need the fiber from all those veggies. I hate throwing out what's left after the juicing so I had a dried cracker recipe that I used it in. Ahhh those were the days. Lots of work. HA!

    ReplyDelete