Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

The search continues

That is, the search for interesting volunteer jobs with the National Park that also offer housing. The way I'm looking at it is that I want to escape the summer heat of Sacramento, so I'm looking for a cool spot for June-July-August, leaving just after Labor Day for NY. My grandson's birthday is Sept. 13th, so I will spend a couple of weeks in NY, and then visit my granddaughter in Pennsylvania during October. She will be located fairly close to Philly, a city that I've never been in except going through on Amtrak, and I'd like to see some of the historical places there.

Then I would head south, hopefully to a job somewhere along the eastern seaboard, or possibly in the Appalachian mountain range. I'd be willing to work for 6 to 8 weeks if I can find something that is compatible, and probably return to Sacramento after Christmas. I'd like to be with family but my days of hard driving to get somewhere by a certain time are way behind me. I'll see them in January more than likely. I don't celebrate Christmas anyway and only put on an act for the kids.

The weather will determine the route I take back to CA, which will determine what I'd like to see on the way. Anything that is open year around would be better than summer crowds. So that's what I'm thinking about at present, and hope I can work and learn something new, but enjoy myself along the way. But you know how plans can go up in smoke, so I won't get too enthused or excited just yet.

I got a call from the eye surgeon's office this morning explaining that I would have to reschedule my Sep 24 appointment with Dr. G. I now see him October 1, and I suppose a week's delay won't make that big a difference. Meanwhile, I think I will cut the aspirin to 1/2 an 81 mg tablet daily, and maybe even skip a day now and then. When I stop taking it altogether it isn't long before I can notice subtle changes in the way I feel - mainly strange pains in my head.

It's back in the 90's again and tomorrow is supposed to be 97. I absolutely HATE Sacramento in the summer. Or anyplace else that's hot! I'd rather be in snow any day.

I just got my mail which included a beautiful card with a handwritten note from Sheryl and the office staff at Lassen, thanking me for working the holiday weekend at Butte Lake. That is really nice of them, and that staff is probably the reason I even consider going back another year. That plus I love the remote Butte Lake area.

I just woke up from a nap which I haven't been taking lately. I think the stomach discomfort is making me tired and totally washed out, and I wish it would stop.

I had started out to the car a couple of hours ago to go buy another can of spray paint for other touch up jobs around the place, as well as something to get the paint off my fingers. It's obviously not water soluble. I didn't end up going out because I just didn't feel right, so I tried nail polish remover on the paint and it did fine.

10 comments:

  1. Are baby aspirin just as hard on your stomach? I had a doctor suggest that to me when I told him I couldn't take aspirin as it killed my stomach.
    Always something isn't it? You take this to cure that and then that gives you more trouble. Hope your stomach gets to feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sure hope you're feeling better today. Scooter sends her love and sympathy for not feeling good. Keep looking, that type of position is out there somewhere and you'll find it. Do you get the workamper newsletter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure hope you get feeling better. Most people who take aspirin have stomach problems, but if that is the price for staying alive and active, I would take one every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with the search, I am sure you will find something that will suit your needs:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope your stomach gets better. if you are getting a pain in your stomach you may have the starting of an ulcer, so if it continues seeing the doctor is probably better sooner than later. You might also try sleeping on your left side for as long as possible. You might also try taking the aspirin with a few bites of bread and about a half of yogurt. These are just suggestions
    I have hear from various people

    ReplyDelete
  6. Guess you wouldn't like Texas weather at all!
    Good luck on your search for job. I'd rather "boondock"

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dont forget to check out the Passports in Time projects that is part of the National Forest Service..and its a way to work and stay! You have to apply ahead of time and be accepted but its different! Here is the link to the website. Now is probably the best time to apply for projects for next yr.
    http://www.passportintime.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my 97 in mid September. I don't blame you for wanting out of Sacramento.

    I know the kind of job you want is out there. Pam stays 3 or 4 months at National Wildlife Refuges mostly and they provide housing for her. You could look into some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always fun to plan ... Gotta have a plan whether it comes around on the guitar or not

    Hope you sleep well!!! 97??? Man oh man oh man

    ReplyDelete