Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, September 7, 2012

Sep. 1 & 2:

Sat., Sep 1:
One of the fire crew just came to my door telling me that they accidently locked the gate up to the horse corral where they are staying. They don’t have a key and normally just “false-lock” the gate. I accompanied him to the gate and got it unlocked for them. This guy was probably in his 30’s, and he kept up a fast, steady pace. It wasn’t the distance that got me, but the fact that it was steadily up a grade. I figured even if I collapsed when I got back, I was going to keep up with this guy and not breathe heavily until I got back to my cabin. Damn, I’m good! I made it with no trouble and didn’t look too wimpy in front of the 3 guys by the gate.

I drove around the two campground loops when I arrived here to check the mileage. It seems longer to me, but it checked out at .4 and .6 equaling a mile total. I walk it in the morning, and try to do the same around 1 pm, but I drive the golf cart on my last run though the CG in the evening, around 6 pm. When I get back I shed the uniform for civvies, and then I can pop open a Miller. I usually light a campfire although I put it out before the last light fades from the sky. The cabin is just too dark and unless I keep a big flashlight outside with me I would stumble through the cabin. That is the one thing I don’t like about living here – it is always dark, at least to me, and I found out the propane lights don’t actually shed a lot of light.

The highlight of today was when a guy in his 20’s came up and asked if there was a soda machine in the vicinity. I had to work hard to not laugh out loud when I told him the nearest place he could get a soda was 17 miles. Poor baby.

After walking the loops twice today I figured the golf cart needed to be exercised too.

I’ve made it through Saturday without any real problems, and I don’t expect any tomorrow. Most campers will be leaving Monday morning, although there will be a few hold-overs until Tuesday. I think I’m gonna make it!

Sun., Sep. 2:
This morning I realized I had no milk left and started to put away the box of Wheaties when I remembered I could use coffee in place of the milk. While in NY earlier this year my daughter-in-law’s parents came to visit quite often. Her mom can’t drink milk and put coffee in her Cheerios, which didn’t sound all that great to me, but it works! I need to grab an hour or two to go to Old Station for a few items. I have enough food to last for about 2 or 3 days, leaving me two days to go if I remain here until Thursday.

For a holiday weekend this isn’t bad at all. Many people having reservations didn’t show up at all, no doubt some because they worry about fire and have decided to go somewhere else. Perhaps the cost of fuel has kept many folks closer to home this holiday. Those who are here haven’t caused a bit of trouble, except for one now and then who won’t pay. I’ve been after the fees for someone in the A Loop for two days now, left notices to no avail, and they are never around (or stay inside their tent) when I come by.

I don’t think I have enough patience for this job, and if I ever took it on again it would only be with a male partner. There are some men who turn off whatever a woman tells them and it really pisses me off.

I wanted to get some photos down by the lake in the latter part of the day when the sun was going down. I love these tree trunks that are everywhere, with all their gnarled roots, but I can't get a decent picture to save my life.


Some photos taken looking across Butte Lake:





My campfire which is still in sunlight:


UPDATE Fri. Sep 7:
I'm still emptying out my car from this trip and need to do laundry. Instead of work I went over and spent the morning with my granddaughter, and caught up on her impressions of the places she's been to on this last European trip. Tomorrow morning I'm taking Jeannie & Ara to REI where we will look at boots. It's nice to have a morning out with just the 3 of us.

It is in the 90's here, still, and who knows when it will drop down to a decent temperature. I'm definitely looking for work in a cooler place for next summer who knows when and where during the coming year. I need to be doing something!

Oh my gosh, I thought we were under attack until I remember that there is an air show at the former Mather AFB this afternoon. Blue Angels and all. Those jets make some noise, for sure. The only plane I even enjoy looking at is the beautiful B-52.

A little later:
I just went out side to watch in absolute awe as these pilots go through their paces. Someone told me that the actual show is tomorrow, and they are doing practice runs today. The AFB is only about a mile or so from my house (as the crow flies), and the runway they are using is much less than that. The sun got too hot for me and the camera isn't working right - drat!


10 comments:

  1. I would not want to do camp-hosting alone, either. That is why I am applying for other types of jobs, working at the visitors center, or gift shops, etc. I have seen listing where they provide housing - as you checked out www.volunteer.gov?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a friend that volunteered at San Diego NWR. She doesn't own an RV, and they supplied housing. She had a very interesting time there. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cabin looked as if it had electricity, why was it not turned on? I know what you mean about not getting respect we older ladies deserve...maybe we need to cuss more HAHA!! My Maternal Grammy cussed like a salior and everyone respected her, she spoke and they jumped!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sondra, it's 'the look' not the language. LOL My mother could go from mild-mannered butter-wouldn't-melt-in-her-mouth grandmother to a Marine Drill Instructor in a flash and God help anybody foolish enough to cross her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh gosh you made me laugh out loud at your inner challenge to keep up with the young guy! Steve was wondering what I was laughing at and I read it to him. He just shook his head and said "That Gypsy!" with a huge smile on his face. He knows you. LOL

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you ever get the lights figured out? I saw the flourescent one over the sink, so there must be a generator attached to the cabin somewhere? Or storage batteries if it's a 12 volt light?

    You are one brave lady, that is for sure!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. At least it sounds like the job is going to be very interesting:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you made it safely home. Go out and watch the air show. I have seen both the Blue Angles and the Thunderbirds. They both put on a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  9. for non payers,can't you report the license plate so that they can send them a bill?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can relate to the guy looking for the soda. I am camp host in Ochoco National Forest in Central Oregon. People are always asking where the nearest store or gas station is. Well it is 17 miles if you go East and they are not always open and 30 miles if you go West and they are always open.

    I am enjoying your blog, but have a little catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete