Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 24, 2012

My troubles are many

Whoa, the new blogger interface is now a fact.  I just typed several paragraphs which disappeared for no reason.  I also have the left side of the screen to type on, while the right side is taken up with "Post Settings"  I wonder about the whiz kid that thought that up.

I wrote my last entry a week ago when I returned from a weekend camping trip.  For several days I felt really awful - no pains or anything serious - just a lack of energy and maybe even a little depression, which I haven't quite chased away as yet.

Things go wrong at the worst possible time, although maybe it's the best possible time.  We just don't realize it yet, and maybe never will.  A few days ago my cameras started to go bad.   I've given up on the Minolta and will have to take the camera to a real camera store so they can safely remove the film and develop it.   The digital is also acting weird and will probably give out soon.  I've been looking   
at cameras recently and finally decided to buy one at Costco online.  It sounds like it has the features I'm  looking for and the price was right.  I expect delivery tomorrow or the next day, and I'll write more about it when it is delivered.

Yesterday I followed my usual routine of turning the MiFi on, taking the laptop into the kitchen and setting it on the table while I make coffee and take my couple of prescriptions.  When I opened the computer I somehow knocked over a nearly full glass of water.    Expletives deleted, but I might have shocked a sailor.

I turned the computer upside down and set a towel underneath it while trying to absorb all the water with another towel.  I finally dared to try using it, and fortunately was able to retrieve a draft email, make corrections, and send it off before the computer started acting crazy.  Within an hour I realized it was a pretty bad situation so I took it to the Apple Store.  OMG, not only was the mall crazy crowded, but the Apple store was a zoo.  The best they could do was to give me an appointment for today at 12:15.

I had a bad feeling about the state of my MacBook, and since I have been thinking I need something as a backup, I went to Costco and purchased an Acer notebook (or netbook, whatever).  It was a fairly good price but small enough to make me sorry within a few hours.  I got it up and running and am using it now.

This morning I had an appointment to give 7 vials of blood at the UCD Med Center lab nearby, and then went to my Apple appointment.   They couldn't do anything about the MacBook except to send it away for a complete overhaul for the price of a new computer.   I asked them to see if my hard drive was also totalled or if the data could be retrieved, which they did and which it can.  So I bought an I-Mac, 23-1/2" screen that comes with all controls built into the screen that sits upon a stand.  It also comes with a cute little wireless keyboard and a wireless mouse unlike any mice I' ve ever seen.  I spent over an hour with what has to be their nicest employee learning the amazing things I will be able to do with the i-Mac.  So although it doesn't have the portability of a laptop, the large screen will be much easier for me to see and work with.  Meanwhile, I can take this Microsoft piece of crap with me when I have to go someplace.

When I got home I had a phone message waiting from my credit union's security center wanting to make sure I had indeed been the one to make all my recent purchases.   I told them yes, so they removed the block on my account.  (I had written a check for the I-Mac.)   I'm now stone broke!  I also don't feel much better although I am excited to pick up my new computer in a day or two.  I had to leave it so they can transfer the data from my old hard drive, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will all come through intact.  I hadn't realized how much of my life was on that computer.

In looking this over before hitting Publish, I realize that the title "My troubles are many" should also be followed by "and my blessings are many as well".   I need to erase the troubles from memory and replace them with the blessings, although that is probably not possible.

12 comments:

  1. Somehow my blog got published this morning but since then I have had to use my tablet cause the computers didn't want to work on blogger. Not sure what was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give that eraser button a try. It might just work you know?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes we folks just can't win for losing. We all have those days & periods when things go wrong in a series. Some of us will stand up & admit it & then there are the one's who won't. It's one of the reasons I always like your posts. You are not afraid to share your feelings, good or bad. None of this awesomely perfect stuff day after day. Hope your new digital camera works out for you. Can't comment on the Mac situation because I've never used one but we do seem to get along fine with our Microsoft stuff. Better days ahead for you:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. You sure had some tough luck there, but on the bright side you will have some new toys to play with:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. An "Attitude of Gratitude" is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Gypsy. I like your blog for the same reason Al does. His blog and yours are alike in that you openly share what goes on in your life, and your feelings that result. Glad to see that you're back in the game. I'm glad you spent money for things to give you joy. That's the best use of money!!!Good luck with the new toys.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was about to send you an email To see if you were okay I hadn't heard anything from you in a ong time..; thought I'd check your blog one more time and here you are ;)

    Jeez what some bad stuff ! At least you got some new Toys to play with ... and you had the funds to do so .., fun when that happens.

    Not having replacement funds would be an additional reeeal bummer. I finally broke down and bought a little stove for $80. hope I like it ,., I'm not only cooking challenged but understanding little fuel cartridges challenged as well ... sigh

    Was just reading the directions and lighting it is supposed to be automatic I DON'T KNOW

    Talk about pitiful

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm sorry to hear about your computer being ruined. Boy stuff like that can sure ruin your day. It is crazy what the credit cards are doing. I made or tried to make a purchase with ours a few weeks ago and because we are 2 1/2 hours away from our "comfort" zone it was refused. We had to call them which took over 45 minutes to get it all cleared up that is was US doing the purchasing. I know they are being careful but it is all getting so crazy! Good Luck with your new note book.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Things just happen to all of us, it seems in spurts. I have vowed to not let them get me down. It is what it is, so I just try to deal with it as best I can and get on with my life. Never said it was easy though. Looking at it all, the good things about this lifestyle far outweigh the not so good.
    Just take a deep breath and go forward.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Be sure and get your Mac Book back. I don't know about a Mac, but a PC laptop can often be repaired by an independent tech using parts from eBay. Hopefully it is only the keyboard that is ruined, and maybe (10% chance?) you could use a wireless keyboard to make it work. I guess all I'm saying is, don't give up on it too quickly. See if Apple will test it with a plug-in keyboard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It does seem like everything goes wrong at the same time, doesn't it? Although getting a brand new Mac is pretty exciting! And saving your hard drive info was a real blessing. I had a small Acer once, and I brought it back to Costco, it was just too small and the one I had didn't have any USB ports. That wasn't good.

    Hope all goes well with all the blood vials. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Marty, I now have an iPhone 5, and and iPad. I'm ready to throw out my HP laptop and get a Mac. For about 2 weeks, I've been unable to get wireless on the laptop, but great it just fine on the iPhone and iPad. go figure!

    Your little bro,

    Rob

    ReplyDelete