Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

A little frustration

I may have mentioned it before that I am looking for some old fashioned outdoor chairs, like the aluminum & webbing kind. They were lightweight, easily carried, and set up and closed up in a second. At Target this morning I found an aluminum chair with plastic strips rather than the webbing I wanted, but it was marked down to $8 and was very light. I set it on the floor and sat in it -- OK. I tried to fold it up and couldn't do it. I asked a store person near me if someone could show me how to fold it up. It took her a couple of tries - she said it was in the locked position - and then she got the lock released and closed up the chair. She immediately opened it back up and locked it.

I decided I would try it myself to make sure I had it right, but couldn't get whatever mechanism to work that released the lock. Another store person offered to help me, but the first one said "I just showed her how to do it". That sounded to me like, "She is an incompetent idiot so don't waste your time". They both moved off to stock shelves further away. I put the chair back on display and used a few expletives. What I want to know is why in the world does that type of chair need a lock on it to begin with. I can understand it with one of those chairs that throws your head down and your feet up in the air - you certainly don't want that thing to collapse at the wrong time. But your basic aluminum folding chair? I'm baffled as to the reason. So you might not want your kid to collapse the chair while he or she is sitting on it, but if the kid is rambunctious enough to collapse it he is going to tip it over in the locked position anyway.

I was just using the vacuum cleaner on my front porch when it started sounding funny. I brought it inside and looked at the brushes, and noticed they had a lot of fiber strings wrapped around them. I cut the strings with scissors and kept pulling them out, but the vacuum still sounded weird so I just shut it off and moved it to the side of the living room. Fifteen minutes later I am sitting here typing my blog entry when the vacuum motor comes on, sounding perfectly fine! I know I turned it off, and haven't gone back near it, but a fairy or leprechaun in the house wants me to get off my backside and finish the job I started. How impudent is that!

I have a question for readers - has anyone been to Voyageurs National Park near International Falls, MN? Were you there as a camper, day visitor, volunteer staff? Visitor Centers are located at Ash River, Kabetogama Lake, and Rainy Lake. Does anyone who has been there have a preference or can you give me a basic description, for example, is one in a more remote spot than the others? Also, for you folks in Minnesota, can you tell me when is the worst of the mosquito and flying insect season? I appreciate any and all responses, and thank you in advance.

There were several comments to my blog of yesterday where I mentioned I take daily aspirin. I take an 81 mg a day since August 2004 when I had a stent implant to open a blocked artery. I didn't have any problems for several years other than bruising on my hands and arms, but now the bruising is much worse and is not just limited to hands and arms. Also in the past 6-9 months I have had to take iron supplements because of anemia and low blood counts, but also in the past year I have had more trouble with pains in my stomach, especially after eating, and I'm sure I have internal bleeding from the aspirin. I've tried taking a half aspirin a day, or one 81mg every other day, but I am much more concerned that I would have a stroke (that wouldn't kill me) than I am about a heart attack (which I hope would be quick!).

I have been constantly complaining lately about my vision and how I need lots of light to be able to see adequately, and I nearly had a heart attack a couple of days ago when I was researching daily use of aspirin on the internet, and found a reference to studies that show seniors who take daily aspirin are much more susceptible to macular degeneration than those who don't. That scares me because I'm not sure if it is treatable. Thankfully I see Dr. G, my eye surgeon, in two weeks.

I bought two cans of spray paint today because the mobile home park police decided I needed to paint my wrought iron posts holding the front porch roof. They are crazy! Two days ago I received a notice with a lot of legalese stating that I had two weeks to paint the wrought iron and to pull the weeds in the back yard. I am grateful to have a house to live in and really like the inside of it, but I absolutely despise a gated community. This is the first they told me of the need to paint these posts, by the way. And now I have 2 weeks or they will do the work at $25/hr! I'm going to tell them I'll pull the weeds when the daytime temps go back down below 90, as I wouldn't want to get heat stroke.

Please forgive all the whining today, and I am really interested in info on Voyageurs which could potentially boost my spirits and morale.

I also bought cake mix and Comstock pie filling for another Billy Bob cake, although they only had strawberry & blueberry filling so I chose blueberry.

8 comments:

  1. When we camped up in International Falls with the Boy Scouts, we lovingly referred to the mosquitoes as 4 engine mosquitoes because they were so big... And the horse files were just as big and would bite and leave a nasty welt on your flesh....

    I was never there when there weren't any bugs....... 24/7 365....Well perhaps not in the winter once its below freezing... LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. January is the best month for no biting bugs in Minnesota!

    I think it would have been hard not to smack that sales girl upside the head!

    I'd say you've had a pretty interesting day with the mind of its own vacuum cleaner and the weed police. You whine?? Ha Ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The reason I live where I do is because I could not stand "big brother" telling me what I can and cannot do on my own property. And that sell's girl should be fired. I bet you she was young (and stupid).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find that the older I get, the more frustration enters my life. Little things flat **ss me off to no end. Not because I'm do'n something wrong, but 'cause I just can't for the life of me to get that tiny screw in the hole.
    I'm think'n that once ya get to a certain age, ALL sales people frustrate us. Had that been me try'n to close that chair, with the assistance of a sales person, I would have been ejected from the store. Voice my opinion ya know.

    Now bout them little aspirin. I been tak'n aspirin all my life (adult)....take 'em now for my blood pressure. A big ol' 500mg one saved my life in 2008 when I had indigestion (heart attack). I'm think'n a little bitty 81mg aspirin every day, eat'n away at your stomach, is a sight better than dead. Most doctors will agree.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nope, not very impressed with this whole againg process at all whether it be mentally or physically......

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was born and lived in International Falls for several years...going back every summer to stay with family.

    I still live in wonderful MN. Go camping up near Boundry waters every May and early June. No or little bugs. They come in July and Aug......if the weather is dry not many....wet weather a lot at dawn and dusk.

    Sept and Oct again there has been frost that killed the bugs. I and my dog go again.

    It is a magic land up there. (although the town of Intl Falls or "The Falls" as locals call it....is very busy and crowded in the summer with people coming and going)

    I have tried to be objective.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well.... finally got a chance to catch up on your blog! ... loved your cabin there and I've got to find that book by Barb Thacker - sounds great.

    I know nothing about either of your questions of Minnesota or aspirin.

    I just know I do not like this old business... really gets on my nerves.

    And boo hiss on your wrought iron and weed police. I don't like stuff like that either. As a matter of fact? I think old age coincides with a lot of don't likes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you get generic enteric aspirin it is better for your stomack because the coating keeps it from dissolving in the first part of your stomach. The last part of your stomach is able to handle it better.

    The chair: that lady (not a lady, a person) is quite the jerk and has no cue about life. To bad for her.

    ReplyDelete