Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, November 11, 2011

Dogged Determination

I have had a whole lot of little successes today, so I don't know why the clutter in my house hasn't been reduced, at least that I can see. First off, I had a light bulb go off in my head. I was exasperated that what looked like such a simple shelf to assemble was more than I wanted to deal with. I woke up thinking, just LOOK at the pictures, don't READ the printed instructions. I can't believe how easy it was. How can a mfr make something so easy to assemble and then send along barely intelligible assembly instructions? Now that I have it together, sitting on my countertop and holding the few cookbooks I have left, I realize it's about twice as large a shelf as I needed. You know how that goes - you just fill the space with something.

The Fuller Brush mop arrived today and I put it together easily. What a difference it makes!

I set a huge stack of empty boxes and cardboard out on the curb this morning and they were picked up right away evidently. I shouldn't have been so hasty, as I now have two more boxes to go out.

There are a lot of programs on TV today (and the past couple of days) about the Vietnam war. I still can't think about it very much - it seems like yesterday for one thing, and so divided the country I don't think we've ever really recovered. At least there is more respect for the military today. My brother was there early in the war, at Bien Hoa. Because he had already served two years in Okinawa and was overdue to come home, he only remained in Vietnam for a few months. Not long after he left, there wasn't much left of Bien Hoa or anyone who was there. Although I'm very much anti-war and have always been, I really resented those who didn't have to serve their country mistreating those who did. And Jane Fonda? I can't believe she still shows up on TV once in a while. But I guess one of these days we'll start hearing about the Dixie Chicks as well. I was still in Ireland when they performed in London and one of them really inserted her foot in her mouth in front of a large audience. I have never felt so ashamed in my life. We can say what we want when we're in the US, is the way I look at it, but when we're out of the country then family loyalty rules should apply.

I'd better quit before I really piss off someone.

9 comments:

  1. Hey Gypsy, the mere fact that we have the freedom to say what we want not matter how stupid it is makes us the great country we are.Sorry the picture of the Grandpa and Grandson hit a nerve, but if it's any consolation I still can't see or go to the Wall without tears.Be safe out there, your friends. Sam & Donna...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're still writing. I'm catching up because of unstable connection. I can't wait to hear from you after your eye surgery. If I don't see you here, I'll email you. You're such a friend after meeting you in the RVD chatroom. Thanks for posting, I worry when you don't.

    We'll be free to go West after June, so we're still hoping to see you at some point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't forget the moronic former Governor of Alaska, Sarah Palin, who launched an outright attack on President Obama while giving a speech in Hong Kong.

    Sarah Palin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every time I see the words 'Fuller Brush' together I think of the Fuller Brush Man.....Red Skelton:))

    ReplyDelete
  5. your doing well by all accounts.
    Enjoy reading your blog even if you aren't travelling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Progress - even small steps. Wonderful. I still have trouble watching shows on Viet Nam. Lost some good friends and some who came home and never recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Woman - it matters not that the focus of your blog has morphed from RVing to putting down roots again. One has to do what needs to be done, eh?

    I, for one, will keep reading as we are rehabing a neglected little house too, and every bit of learning helps. Hope you are liking your Pergo ... ours is going away. It's all about choices. Please keep posting!
    L 'n D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about Fonda and the Chicks. The instructions were probably written in china. Something gets lost in the translations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, Gypsy,

    First of all, keep on blogging and say what you want! It's your blog after all. I'm planning on starting to solo fulltime in about a year when I hit 62. I'm looking forward to trying it but I'm not sure that it will be for me--just the fear factor, I guess. I've read most if not all of your blog and I know how excited you were at the beginning. Sometime, if you get the chance and are inclined to do so, would you write an entry about how your decision to stop evolved? Thanks.

    Collier Carlton
    Holly Springs, MS
    colliercarlton@bellsouth.net

    ReplyDelete