Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Watching the skies

I looked out the front door late  yesterday afternoon, and saw that the sun is getting closer to setting where it's supposed to!   There will come a time in a few months where I will be able to see it from my chair, whereas now I have to walk to the door and look at the sky to the left!  I also got a glimpse of the moon in the middle of the night, but when I woke up a couple of hours later the clouds had moved in and obliterated it.  I'm sort of bummed out that I haven't been able to see all those beautiful planets in the skies along the path of the moon.  What a winter this has been.

After leaving the gym I drove to the place that takes items to be donated to homeless men, although they let me leave a bag for the ladies as well.  It's mostly the men who need the shoes, clothing, etc. as there are other organizations that help women and children.  I even drove there via Freeway 50, both ways, and was pretty proud of myself.  I usually hate the freeway, but didn't feel  like dealing with all the red lights at intersections along the way.  It's supposed to be getting just a little warmer each day although I certainly haven't felt warm yet, and I know it gets cold at night and even chilly on summer nights when the breeze comes up the delta.  I hope someone enjoys my Eddie Bauer down jacket!  I worried that the weather will soon be too warm for it, but was told that they (the homeless) take good care of things like that, and will even roll it up during the warmer weather for a pillow.

Driving today I realized that I was seeing a lot of green.  Green grass, that is!  Where the lawns have died through the drought, the rains have brought the grass back to life.  It is really much prettier to look at.  We've had some very strong winds the past week or two, and I saw at least 3 houses that were having new roofs put on or roof repair.  The aluminum carport of the homeowner across the road from me is still hanging down, and I can't imagine that insurance is taking so long to at least remove the old one and replace it.

I made another big batch of chicken soup yesterday, which is even better than the last one.  I have enough left for at least 3 more meals.  This is certainly the weather for good, nourishing soup.

I think I will respond to comments on the blog, just to see how it goes.  I may or may not continue the practice.    

12 comments:

  1. I've noticed days getting a tad longer & have noted also how the late afternoon sun is shifting it's gaze slowly across our living room floor each day. I see the line-up of the Planets each morning I step outside with Pheebs but unfortunately I have gradually lost seeing detail on the Moon's surface over the last few years. Aging eyes. Like you I too have noticed a slight greening in our landscape. I'm soooo tired of all this cold weather this winter as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also notice I can't see detail, and have to really squint to see anything in the sky lately. Partly it's the cloudy skies, but mostly my deteriorating vision.

      Delete
  2. I am so looking forward to next week when it's going to be warm again. AZ is really green this year. Ought to be a beautiful Spring. Glad to hear the jacket will be put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought by deleting one of the duplicate entries I'd erase the whole thing but it doesn't work that way! I've always loved the cooler weather and never thought I'd get to the age when I needed the warmth. I hope my donations get to the homeless before it gets too warm to appreciate them.

      Delete
    2. When you delete the duplicate comment, if you click the little box that says "remove forever" then it removes it completely. :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Jessica. I didn't realize that, and I'll try it the next time.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy to hear you donated things for the homeless. I have seen and increase in homeless women this winter. It so horrible. I am getting another bag together to donate.

    Yes it is going to be a beautiful spring here in the Sonoran Desert with all the early rains that went on all winter so far. But if it warms up just a little I will be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was told the org. I dealt with gives clothing directly to homeless men, but that there are many more organizations that provide for women and children. I only had a few things for women bagged up, but they took it anyway. I told them I just don't want my donations going to thrift shops that "help" the homeless - I want warm clothing to go directly to those living on the streets. I hope that is what happens, but it is beyond my choice now.

      Delete
    2. Yes that can be a problem with donation centers they sell the things and you never know if they are really helping the homeless. It takes time to find the right ones and where I live their are residents who work with the agency's that have to poor and homeless come to them for what they need.

      Delete
  5. I actually don't mind freeway driving at all since I can get in the right lane and stay there and just let them zoom around and act like idiots around me until my exit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merging is what bothers me, on any kind of road with traffic. CA drivers merge with little or no room to spare. I find if I calm myself down and just decide I'm not going to let it bother me, and that I will just go with the flow, something magical seems to happen. There is almost always a big break in the traffic and I can comfortably merge. I still don't like it though.

      Delete