Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I've lost the initiative

Reading blogs and writing my own blog used to be an everyday part of my existence.  Lately I find I'm having too much difficulty getting started that I just don't do it.  I don't have much to say, and I'm sure readers pick up on that fact.

I did have a great past few days - granddaughter Ara was here from Philly for an extended weekend.  It was extended because the snowstorm in PA caused her flight to be cancelled, so she stayed a couple of extra days.  Jeannie, Ara and I enjoyed morning gatherings with coffee topped with whipped cream, cinnamon and nutmeg, while working the NY Times crossword puzzles.

The family also gathered at Straw Hat Pizza on Saturday night which is always fun, although the karaoke makes it a little more difficult to hold a conversation.  Straw Hat pizza and pitchers of Stella can't be beat!

There is an empty space since Ara returned to PA, and we're all feeling it.  On Valentine's Day she urged Jeannie and Donald to have a special "date night", and she took the younger girls out for Chipotle for dinner, and afterwards they came to visit me for a while.  She is such a special person, but also full of fire as only a young person can be.

After a lot of sunny days I think we are going back to overcast skies, showers, and some downright rainy weather.  I have started to treat the weed problem but it always stays ahead of me.

My day is turning out to be not so bad considering I spilled a glass of water all over the table, chair, and floor first thing this morning.  My visit to the chiropractor fixed me right up though - he is so positive and just talking to him makes me feel so positive.

I wish I knew what has happened to all the hummingbirds.  I sometimes bring the feeder in for cleaning and it's obvious that it hasn't been used.  In about 2 weeks I've only seen one hummer; I did see a gorgeous big bird hopping across the street a few days ago, and as it got closer I realized it was a Stellar's Jay.  I have seen lots of them in the foothills, but never here in the city.  When we used to go camping a lot they would steal the dog food right out from Lady's bowl - no fear of me sitting right there, and of course Lady didn't mind sharing.  I'm ready for a good camping trip, now that I think about it.

21 comments:

  1. I obviously take short breaks in blog writing. I mistyped and originally said blog wringing, which is how it seems sometimes, wringing a blog entry out of my fairly uneventful life lately. I find that the blog keeps me honest, though. I feel I need to actually own up to whether I accomplished what I said I was going to do. So, it is useful for that, if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always believed it is good to write something every day, as in keeping a journal, even though no one else ever need see it.

      Delete
  2. I used to comment all the time. Now I just read blogs and only post once a week or so and that can be a struggle. But I still want to hear about what everyone is doing and what they are up to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel the same way, and really miss it when I don't read and write every day. For some reason I have hit a mental block, and I hope it's temporary.

      Delete
  3. I used to comment all the time. Now I just read blogs and only post once a week or so and that can be a struggle. But I still want to hear about what everyone is doing and what they are up to.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read more than I comment... lazy, I guess. But in my (relatively short time... 4 years) of blogging I've seen a definite decline in the past 6 months of my favorite bloggers. I guess things change, we all change... our priorities change... and life goes one. BUT... I still look for a posting of those folks whose lives I feel close to, even though I've never met them.... so.......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I sometimes refer to "my friends from my blog", and when I think about it, I do consider many to be old friends. Some I've met, and I appreciate all of you, whether or not we will ever meet in person.

      Delete
  5. Like you said, "I have always believed it is good to write something every day", I agree with you & for myself I find it very therapeutic. I have a tendency to write more for my readers now & if I was just writing for myself I don't know if I could keep my interest up. Bloggers evolve with their blogs & we sometimes stumble in that evolution losing site of where we're going or why. The biggest challenge for me each day is to come up with something that may be of interest not only to me but my readers as well. It's a daily challenge & gives me a purpose. Some days I hit it right & some days I don't. I think we are all like that inside. I hope you continue to express your thoughts & feelings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think coming up with something of interest to readers is what is really getting me down. I hate to say the same old things, but often when we quit traveling it is a stretch to find something to write about every single day.

      Delete
    2. In my opinion there is your trouble "coming up with something of interest to readers". Many years ago Granny J told me to just write what interests me at the moment. The readers will love it and she was extremely right.

      Delete
    3. I think you may be right, Barney, as that is exactly why I read the blogs I do.

      Delete
  6. I think you did wonderfully today. Most of your readers are just interested in whatever you are doing or thinking. You always have something to say. Your Ara really sounds like an unusually thoughtful young person. Which of your children raised such a fine young lady. I find many young people her age would never think to volunteer to give the parents a night out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for the very kind comments. Ara is Jeannie's oldest daughter, born when Jeannie was within 2 yrs of turning 17. She finished high school and put herself through college, got a job, and bought a house by the time she was 22 or 23. Jeannie is an incredibly strong person. I think all of my kids have done very well, and I'm so proud of them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you had a great time this weekend and for these past few days. Yes Ara is a fantastic kid. Your daughter did a great job.

    I also am in need of a camping trip, but this month had to do some upgrades to my house which seems to be a constant these days. So I thought next month for sure, well next month will bring winter back so I don't see anthing opened until maybe may.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm in great need of a camping trip also. I have a 2 wk trip to NY in April/May, and then I need to do some vital maintenance on my house too. I hate spending money on a darn house when I'd rather be traveling!

      Delete
  9. We obviously like reading your blogs that you feel are
    uninteresting...... Suits me just fine!
    Your grand daughter sounds sweet . What a blessing 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, you are so kind and I very much appreciate it. I don't know that I would read my blog, but I'm grateful to all those who do!

      Delete
  10. I'm in the same slump myself. Just ordinary stuff going on, and I'm no deep thinker like some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ordinary stuff like all the shootin' and electin' and partyin' you've been doing since you settled down!

      Delete
  11. Don't send that weather over here. Our weather forecast doesn't call for any rain until Sunday or Monday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm not ready to give up on the rain yet. We need all we're going to get.

      Delete