Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Weekend in Monterey

The drive on I-5 from Sacramento was fairly boring, as I-5 always is. I think it looks like moonscape except for when you pass orchards and crops. I turned toward Monterey and the road goes up to the Pacheko Pass in the same nondescript terrain, but when it starts down the mountain things sure change on the western side. Trees, lots of them!







I did pretty well following the directions and getting through the heavy traffic that is always on Highways 1 and 101, and got through Monterey and to Steve's house with no problems. The man from OZ, GPS Lee, finally settled down when he realized I wasn't going to go through the San Francisco Bay area to get there. I suppose if I could drive around Chicago I could - NAH, Chicago drivers are pussycats compared to California drivers. I'm glad I went the way I did.

The birthday party was held at the small park about a block from the house. I took a picture of Liam's cake, a toolbox, and the cupcakes for the rest of us. Each is decorated with "tools" made out of vanilla and dark chocolate - pliers, saw, wrench, etc. Donald really outdid himself again. My son Steve is one of the ultimate "fix-it" men, and his son Liam will no doubt learn from his dad.




I drove down on Saturday morning, and returned on Monday morning. After everyone left Sunday we drove along the beach and into Monterey where we ate at a seafood restaurant. Great meal, and even greater company!


I was extremely tired by the time I got back, and don't want to drive anywhere for a while. I figured out that in about 3-1/2 months I drove 10,000 miles! I can tell that I'm feeling the tiredness more than I ever did before, so it's time to settle down and find a place to live for a while, and become reunited with my belongings! I will be so happy to not have storage fees any more.

7 comments:

  1. Sometimes a boring drive is good. I am sure your belongings miss you too:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just now getting caught up on a couple of blogs. Sounds like the camping trip was a success and that cake was incredible. Good luck on the house/apt hunt. It will feel good for you to be settled some place for awhile and have all your things around you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cake! Monteray is such a lovely place.

    I sure can understand why you'd be tired after 10,000 miles of driving. WHEW! Makes me tired to type it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a really neat birthday cake! Sounds like you need a little R & R after those 10,000 miles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So where's a picture of the birthday boy?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Take a break for now, but I bet it will not be long until you are back on the road. You are a Gypsy, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a darling cake and cupcakes. Really cute idea!
    I like driving I-5, always have for some reason.
    You really HAVE done a lot of driving in a brief time. Staying put for a while will feel good. Good luck finding a place. :)

    ReplyDelete