Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Frustrations today

I have enjoyed the scenery in eastern Montana, which is breathtaking. I couldn't take pictures, though, because there is no pull-out or scenic view space in the whole state that I can see. I planned to see something of Butte today, but after 12 miles of the most beautiful drive I've ever been on, which was tense because of lane closures for road work, I didn't feel like even stopping. It is a larger and more spread out city than I thought it would be, and I am not interested in exploring a fairly good sized city on my own. At the end of the 12 mile road work section, I crossed the Continental Divide at 6393 ft.

I lived in Ireland for 3 years, in a small farming and fishing community at the end of the Beara Peninsula. In a village nearby were the Allihies Copper Mines, closed long ago, but still remembered by the people of the village. Working conditions were terrible as all mines were in those days, and many still are, but the English owners brought in Cornish miners to do the better jobs and also provided them with housing that was probably better at the time than what the native Irish lived in. When the mines closed many of the miners came to Butte, Montana, and their descendants are still here today. I heard many stories when I lived there, and nearly every family I knew had relations that came to Butte. I really wanted to see it, but realize now that it isn't like it was 50 years ago and I probably wouldn't find much to do or see there. I am no longer a museum goer, although I visited scores of museums all over the world in younger days. Besides, it was only 11:30 when I arrived - should have been 10:30 according to my GPS when I started out, but road work took care of that.

I opted to continue on to Missoula, where I am in a very nice and comfortable room. I walked to the local Albertsons supermarket about a block and a half away to replenish beer and breakfast supplies. I hadn't gotten out of the parking lot coming back when I realized I should have driven. By the way, I have thought about stopping in Butte on several cross-country trips, but the Mountain Directory West always scared me off with the information about the steep grades. Now that I've driven the east to west direction, it am glad I never tried it with my 5th wheel. I could have managed it, but if there was road work narrowing the lanes it would have been 12 miles of hell!

Speaking of driving, I have been shocked by what has happened to my gas mileage, and I am attributing it to ethanol added to the fuel, at least for now and until a couple of regular tankfuls yields an improvement. I was getting 28-1/2 mpg, which dropped to 22-1/2 after the first tankful of the ethanol stuff although I didn't think about that being the cause. At the last fill-up my mpg was slightly less than 20, and that won't do. I would love comments from anyone who has experienced the same thing, as well as those who think it is for a different reason.

Tomorrow I will aim for Pendleton, Oregon, and look forward to being off the interstate for a while. I will hopefully be able to take some time to see Crater Lake on the way to Sacramento. I had thought about trying Yellowstone again, but heard that the traffic has been bumper to bumper, and I don't like that kind of driving at all.

I have learned my lesson and will never again travel in summer during the tourist season. Short trips aren't bad, but driving coast to coast is not my preference. I salute all the brave folks, especially the solos (men and women) who can do it.


Lady has enjoyed the day. Two different families came up and wanted to pet her at rest area stops. We just came back from a little walk around the motel in Missoula, and it looks like a nice little town. A rushing creek runs by one side of the property, and the water tumbling over boulders reminds me of Gatlinburg, TN.



Finally, I walked to the nearby corner to Five Guys for a burger. I have never been in a Five Guys before, and thought this one was pretty gimmicky the way they route you around to place your order. I brought the burger back to the motel and will have to say I've eaten better burgers before. I prefer them cooked on the grill at home, but it was passable and i won't go to bed hungry tonight. I sure enjoyed last night's meal at Perkins with Sandie and Jim about a thousand times better! Thanks S & J, for the wonderful meal and the great company.

11 comments:

  1. I have often observed that some of the most fantastic scenery has no place to stop and take pictures:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beer and breakfast...an interesting combination. Are you planning on indulging on both at the same time?

    Maybe you're trying to cover too much territory in too short of a time??

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry you didn't stop in Butte. It's spread out but not too tough to get around in. But 11:30 is pretty early to stop for the day. Missoula is a University town and lots of free spirits. Very unique in many ways. We, too, thoroughly enjoyed dinner last night. Will gladly do it again any chance we get. Drive safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understan about no pull over places to take pictures. I try to keep my windshield clean sO I can snap a picture if I don't have a line of cars behind me. Sometimes it works lots of times it doesn't.
    be safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I share your feelings about large cities & most museums. I guess the upside of not traveling in the summer is missing all the road construction, crowded scenic & camping spots plus congested summer traffic. I would be interested in hearing comments about that ethanol problem as well. I never monitor fuel consumption so have no idea.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you leave Missoula, follow the path Lewis and Clark took. It is beautiful. It will be 2 lanes. It follows the Lochsa River and borders the Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness area, 1.5 million acres in size with no motorized traffic allowed. I don't think you would regret taking this route.
    Rex

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing I can suggest about the mileage; ours always goes down at higher elevations. Not sure about the ethanol added, but I doubt they add it to diesel. Have enjoyed your trip across the country, although not reading every day, I am trying to stay caught up on you and Judy. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alcohol is very low in BTU's(energy) even in an engine designed for it I always see a decrease with 10 pe rcent ethanol. They just changed the rules to allow 15 percent in normal gas. Altitude and climbing will hurt some as well. A government study found that with the 85 percent ethanol mileage went from 13 mpg to 8.5 in one vehicle. Bio diesel may make sense but its doubtful corn based alcohol ever will.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Aunt Marty,
    I hope you enjoy Pendleton. Going cross country from West to East last time for me, I asked my husband if we could just stop there and live! It was truly inspiring.
    I love hearing about your journey and your days in general. Please keep on writing!
    Love, Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ethenol could be a part of your problem, but most likely it's the octane. On the east coast you were probably purchasing 87 octane. The higher elevations have a lower level of air pressure, which means an engine needs less octane to properly fire due to the lower ambient pressure. So the fuel sold in high elevation areas is often 85 octane. All things considered this would equal out and you would have the same mileage. However, if you filled up with 85 octane and then did some driving between the high and low elevations your mileage would decrease. Not to mention that 85 octane in a lower elevation is bad for your engine. You should always use at least 87 octane when you travel. Then we you go into the mountains you will actually get better mileage because the thin air will not only help your engine perform better you will also have less drag.
    You also may want to check your tire pressure, and air filter. Since you have been going through a good deal of road construction and that dirt detour these two factors could also reduce your efficiency. And most importantly drink some of that damn beer tonight... That stuff is also weighing you down creating more of a drag:-)

    (And you didn't think I paid attention in my high school science class)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like it won't be long before you will be back in Sac. No hurry, take your time and enjoy the slightly cooler weather and west coast scenery. At least your not spending as much on gas as you did towing that fifth wheel. Looking forward to seeing you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete