Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, August 15, 2011

Sacramento, CA

I left Klamath Falls around 8:00 am and I had the road all to myself, US97 and I-5S, until I reached Redding. From there on the traffic was heavy, and the driving habits of CA drivers came back to me. They sure scare me!

Every time I see Mt. Shasta my heart does funny things, and this was no exception. You may have to click on the pictures to get a glimpse of the mountain from such a distance.







I managed to get pictures from a viewing point along the way, but most aren't on my digital camera and I guess I took them all with the film camera. I need to shoot about 5 more pics and then have it developed. This mountain is so scenic, and there are two large glaciers to be seen from the scenic view point where I stopped. The third picture shows a glacier on the left side just down from the peak, and another one a bit further down on the right.

California does some really nice things with the median strips on the freeways. Here it's planted with oleander, and sometimes there is bottle brush.



I am fortunate to have seen two very beautiful places in two days - Crater Lake and Mt. Shasta. Both look promising as places to camp and explore further. I just don't want to do it by myself.

Yesterday evening we gave Lady a bath to try to get some of the excess fur off of her. She is clean and shiny but still sheds like crazy, and I know there is no cure for that. This morning I drove to the storage unit here and dropped off all the parts to my tent. My boxes arrived from Asheville and they all fit into the storage, but 4 still need to be moved as Jeannie & Donald ran out of room in their van when moving the other boxes. I have quite a task before me to see what I will keep and what I will get rid of out of those boxes.

My granddaughters seemed to have grown so much since I left in May. The younger one turned two in June, and is talking so much more now. She woke up very early this morning and hung out with me and Lady for a long time. I still have 2 more granddaughters to see here in Sac, plus a grandson in Monterey. The California family will be heading for Monterey towards the end of August to celebrate Liam's first birthday.

While I was enroute Jeannie called the eye surgeon for me and had my appointment moved up a whole month. I'm anxious to get the next surgery over with. I've noticed a big change in my eyesight the past few days, and have missed seeing several vehicles on my right - I guess I've developed a blind spot. Nothing serious happened, but I'm warned and uncomfortable with all but very local driving until I get it fixed. Damn, that's one of the things I hate about growing old.


10 comments:

  1. Glad you made it home safe and sound and that you get to have your eye fixed earlier than planned. Good luck with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! The old body wearing out is a pain in the aspargus. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad you're home safe. And getting the eye stuff moved up is great. I'm sure you'll find lots of stuff to get rid of when you start cleaning out. We sure did.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who was it that said getting old isn't for sissies? Bette Davis?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that you made it back safe sound. Give me a call or email if you want to get together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a fine job, once again with your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Since you "...have missed seeing several vehicles on my right - I guess I've developed a blind spot...", please hang up the keys before someone is injured or killed. What happens when the vehicle on the right is a smaller object like a pedestrian, bicyclist, or motorcyclist? They are even difficult to see at times for a motorist without any vision impairment. It isn't worth the risk to keep driving. Keep yourself safe & everyone else safe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it interesting that someone doesn't have the cahonies to sign their name when giving such an opinionated comment as the one above.

    I'm quite certain that the eye Doctors are quite aware of Marti's vision and her ability to drive and it is none of Mr Anonymous's business.

    Rod

    ReplyDelete
  9. Every vehicle has blind spots, maybe it isn't you, but just the normal blind spot. Anyway, I'm glad your appointment is moved up, now you won't have to wait so long. Glad you made it home safe and sound, after a long drive across the country. :)

    ReplyDelete