Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Sunday, May 24, 2020

The Garden is Expanding

Steve came over today and worked on a couple of garden plots I needed to clear.  The rototiller needed a new spark plug, so he will bring one next week.  In the meantime he did a lot of manual labor with the shovel!  I am going to use one of the plots for pumpkins - and hope to give at least one to each family of grandkids by Halloween!

It was so nice to see him, and he brought the two kids with him.  They are always a pleasure to have around.   He pulled a lot of ripe cherries from the tree, and I had forgotten how delicious they are.  I have an apple tree but the apples it produces aren't very tasty - also there is a plum tree and blackberry vines, and I'm hoping to enjoy the fruits of all of them this summer.  Last year I was so busy with the move and just getting things in place, and I missed all the fruit from trees and vines.  

It is only May and Sacramento is expecting an extreme heat wave next week.  The temps will be 99, 103, 104, 104, and 96, before going back down to the 80's.   This subject to change, of course, and the temps  could go even higher.  I will have to get up early in the day to walk Rocky before it gets too hot.  Our days usually don't get extremely hot until 11am or Noon, and it looks like we will have some cool overnight temps next week (in the 60's).   I will need to water my garden heavily and early on those mornings.

I won't ever admit it to my family, but the TV I bought is a total waste of my money.  Fortunately I didn't spend a whole lot on it.  It's a nice one,  but I simply have never been a TV watcher and I'm too old to start now.  It does get youtube which I use a lot on my computer, but I prefer it on the computer.  The saying "You can't teach an old dog new tricks" is as wise now as it ever was.

I was sitting on the deck in back a while ago and got to thinking about my life.  I am so thankful to have had such a good life, with good family and a few good friends.  I also have to add the good dogs I've known!   It is great at my stage in life to have lots of good memories, and very few regrets.

7 comments:

  1. Nice of Steve to come and clean out the plot for more veggies and pumkins.

    We will see those triple digits starting Wed. all the way to the following Wed. so far. UGH! I guess we better enjoy the cools ones while they last

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked at the forecast again this morning and while it will still be triple digits, they are down a degree or two from what was first predicted. Who knows, they could go back up! I'm going to stay as cool as I can, and hope you do too.

      Delete
  2. Nice Steve was able to expand the garden for you.
    Hopefully you can get Rocky out for his walks early in the mornings and later in the evenings when it is cooler.
    Always nice living without regrets.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I took Rocky out at 8am and it wasn't too bad except when he stopped in the direct sunlight. I watered the garden as soon as I got up this morning, so I can stay indoors today. Hope you can stay cool and comfortable.

      Delete
  3. your little place with fruits and vegetables sounds just wonderful. And being near your family makes it even better. And having Rocky for companionship. I can see why you have few if any regrets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent the past few years worrying abut the future of our government and way of life. I finally decided I was driving myself crazy, so even while I hate to see what goes on and I hope for a better future, I will try to maintain a more relaxed outlook.

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to have family to help you out with your garden. I have been out in the sun all day dragging tree branches to the curb from the strong winds we have been experiencing. I had to also rake leaves and my arms are killing me.

    I must have missed a post I did not know you had purchased a smart TV. I love mine as I enjoy watching the afternoon and evening news albeit it that it is from San Antonio.

    I also enjoy watching the late-night comedians that make me laugh and forget the times we are living in.

    I share your feelings about living with no regrets!

    ReplyDelete