Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, May 25, 2020

Giving up cooking

I have always been a good cook - nothing fancy, but good down-home style.  I don't cook much anymore, and the last two meals I've tried have turned into near-disasters.  So I'm done, although I won't get rid of all my cookware, recipe books, etc. just yet.  I think it's age, and living alone.

Rocky and I have stayed in all day after a quick walk early this morning.  I just went out to check on and water the garden, and I tossed the ball for him to chase a few times, but I think he is as glad as I am to get back into the house.  And this isn't even the worst of the heat that is expected in the coming week!  One of the most wonderful things about Sacramento is that it is almost always cool up until Noon, and today was no exception.  I was able to stay cool with the ceiling fan running, and doors and windows open.  But I'm thankful for the few hours of a/c I'll use each day.

It looks like I am going to have to buy a new computer, and I sure hate to spend the money.  The cursor jumps all around the page and everything seems to be going wrong with it.  I'll get another Mac as I could never go back to a Windows based computer, but I sure wish I could find one that is just a plain computer and no fancy bells & whistles.  And I swear sometimes I want to throw it up against the wall when "Siri" asks me what she can do for me today.  If anyone knows how to dismantle, delete, or otherwise trash this annoying entity, please let me know. 

Stay cool!


16 comments:

  1. Go to the Apple menu and select System Preferences.
    Choose Siri.
    Clear the Enable Ask Siri checkbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything has been unchecked since the computer was set up, and it still pops up.

      Delete
  2. If it weren't for Jim, I probably wouldn't do much cooking either. Not worth the effort for just me. My computer is almost six years old but I keep nursing it along because I don't want to learn a new one. We're going to hit 111 for three days this week with lows in the mid 80s. Not fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, that will be just awful! I thought we were going to be in the same boat but now expected high is "just" 103!

      Delete
  3. If it wasn't for the stoup I do cook about every 10 days, I would only be using the microwave for the last 12 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and me both! Costco has some great frozen dinners and side dishes!

      Delete
  4. My computer is 11 years old. It's a Dell but rather than replace it with a new one with bells and whistles, I took it in and had a new hard drive put in and upgraded the memory and it is just chugging happily along. Find a good repair shop and have them give you an estimate. You'll save a ton of money especially on a mac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good idea if I could get someone to drive me to a computer repair place. What drives me the most crazy is that the cursor jumps around and I'm constantly having to go correct . For example, in typing this note the cursor will jump up into what I have written already and start typing there. It never settles down.

      Delete
  5. with ya on the 'cooking' thing.... boy have i had some major disasters... not reading the recipe right, even tho, i swear i read it over a number of times!!! Forget things...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is really weird how a person who has always been a good cook suddently has problems with the simplest things.

      Delete
  6. Welcome to the club of people that do not cook! At least you know how...I never learned and at this point in my life...have no desire to do so.

    Pre-packaged salads, canned ravioli, chili, soup, sandwiches, and cereal will have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really cut down on cooking since I've lived alone. Now I'm just too lazy to cook a full meal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I googled about Siri and this is what I found
    On your Mac bring up “System Preferences” then click on “Siri”. Then unclick the little box that says “enable Siri”
    That should stop her from bothering you! Good luck 😁

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just a thought but try hitting the insert key at the end of a sentence sometime I hit a wrong key but I have no idea what it is and then I have that happen, if I hit the insert tab it goes back to working again. Should have been around these past few days trying to set up this new phone. finally had to call them, she started saying to do all this stuff I had I finally had to tell her I'm old and have no idea what your talking about. It's now fixed LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your response to the phone helper! I don't understand why a simple thing like a phone has to be so complicated.

      Delete