Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, May 8, 2020

Heat Wave!

We are experiencing an early heat wave (in the 90's) but it looks like there will be more moderate temps in a few days.  I don't like the heat, and I don't like running the a/c.  I did turn it on yesterday in late afternoon because Jeannie was coming over to walk on my treadmill.  I generate a lot of heat and I only walk a mile -- she likes to walk 4+ miles so I try to keep it as cool as possible for her.  Rocky has been pretty listless lately, and I try to walk him early enough in the day that it isn't so hot.  Fortunately Sacramento cools off considerably overnight - into the 50's for the rest of May.  Even in the hottest of summer we have cool evenings.

My garden is thriving, although not in the way I had planned.  I planted 19 tomato plants in two garden plots.  Little did I know that what I planted last year would come up again this year! So I have something growing among the tomatoes.  I think they are some kind of leafy green veggies but I can't identify them.  They sure look healthy!  I think the next few days will be overcast and cooler, so maybe I can get out there and do some tidying up.  I don't know whether to let the healthy-looking plants just try to co-exist with the tomatoes, or what.  I am probably so far past my prime that I shouldn't even try something as ambitious as a vegetable garden!

Jeannie has been trying to come over as many evenings as possible to walk on my treadmill.  I'm so happy to see it get used - I am still at a mile a day, whereas she walks 4 or 5 miles; I do mine at 3 mph, but she can walk much faster.  Since we both have taken the threat of coronavirus seriously, we could both become very out of shape and subject to weight gain as well, so the chance to walk is golden, to both of us.

I wonder if many of you are experiencing the same things I am, especially those of you who live alone.  I just can't keep interest in housekeeping or cooking, although I do keep up with the laundry.  I try to do a couple of jobs every day that aren't really that critical - like cleaning the tops of the ceiling fan blades!    Somehow, it is satisfying to know they are clean and free of dust, whereas my windows could sure use a good washing!  I know I will never recover from the effects of the Wuhan virus, even if I don't catch it.  The isolation and lack of group activities will leave a lasting mark, and things will never be the same.

I hope you are all able to keep occupied and not let this crisis overtake you - we all need to be determined to have some control over our lives.

8 comments:

  1. Cleaning 149 SF is pretty, easy vacuum and dust about 20 minutes. Cooking is mostly fixing stoup every three days. Breakfast is normally cereal and soy milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also like my cereal in the morning. I use coffee in place of milk and it isn't bad at all. I make a soup of sorts quite often, but never the same thing twice for some reason.

      Delete
  2. The tread mill is great for your and Jeannie. I may have to invest in one. It has been very hot here so I try to get out early in the morning and putter around the yard and sit on the porch for a while but by 10am it is already getting to hot.

    Maybe just pull out a few of the leafy stuff until you figure out if it is a weed or a lettuce of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tore a piece off a leaf yesterday and tasted it. Not bad but I couldn't say what it was.

      The treadmill is the best thing I ever bought for myself, and I'm glad Jeannie can use it also.

      Delete
  3. I was doing so well walking in the mornings but after I injured my leg in Terlingua last year I never got back to it.

    Glad you and Jeannie are getting good use out of your treadmill. I have not kept up with the laundry as the laundromats were closed during the quarantine and even though they are open now...I am too scared to go in them. My winter clothes will just have to wait a little longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having my own washer & dryer; now if I could just set up a clothesline.

      Delete
  4. It's so blasted hot here I don't ever feel like doing anything, especially cooking. But next week it's supposed to cool down to the 90s. I've given up walking. Just can't work up any enthusiasm to get out there. Jim turns the air on much earlier than I would so I have a light blanket for me. Skitz is snoring right now. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we are in for some nice cool weather ahead. You might want to think about a treadmill if you have room for one. I walk way more since I can do it at home and don't have to worry about weather, cracked pavement, etc. Hope we both get some nice spring weather before summer hits.

    ReplyDelete