Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Views I will soon be missing



I never tire of all the trees, grass, and greenery! The picture below was taken of a neighbor's yard, and I love the beautiful symetrical pine tree in the center of the photo.



Since I had planned to drive a different route back to CA I didn't bring a couple of maps I will be needing, so I called the AAA in Sioux Falls this morning. The staff there is so pleasant and helpful, and the maps are on the way. Not that I really NEED them, but I enjoy looking at the details.

Several folks mentioned Microsoft Streets and Trips, and I've often heard positive comments about it. I never got into it since I have a Mac, but I notice there is now a Mac version. I still prefer opening the maps and getting the big picture, and putting a tentative route together in my mind. I've found it just as easy to do a Google search for something like "Mileage Aberdeen, SD to Miles City, MT", and the answer comes back immediately. Too far? I just pick another ending point and repeat the process. I really don't need Mapquest either because it isn't always possible to move the route to entirely what you want, so I end up improvising along the way. Whatever works and is appealing to the individual user!

As Billy Bob is fond of saying, "Boy howdy let me tell ya", I had a fine southern style meal last night at Cracker Barrel! You wouldn't expect to find good shrimp and grits in NY or anywhere outside the Southeast, but I tried them and they were delicious! I was taking a chance though.

The big question this afternoon is "will there be a T-ball game at 5:30?" The fields are certainly wet and even though the rain stopped about an hour ago, I can't imagine them being in any shape for little boys who would just as soon kick clods of mud as they would kick clouds of dust. I can deal with a T-ball game now and then, but lord deliver me from soccer! I loved soccer when my kids were starting out as first graders, but now they start the kids as young as 4, and they don't have a clue what is going on. Of course there is usually one little kid who is ready for Manchester United (and it's usually a little girl).

Fourteen more wake-ups!

4 comments:

  1. I think you might like Streets and maps if you tried it. It has some great planning features. I use it on every trip segment:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we get together here in Wisconsin, I will let you try my Street and Trips. It's nice to zoom in and out, and mark things of interest, and also change your plans with a few keystrokes (compared to trying to change it on a GPS)

    My Streets and Trips has a USB device that is a GPS to stick on the window and lets the laptop screen be a big GPS. Nice!

    (at least you don't have to figure out how to fold back up a computer screen like you do a map!)


    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought Streets and Maps and ended up selling it back on Amazon. I use Google maps and paper maps. The USB gadget that comes with Streets and Maps is great if you have 2 people in the car/RV but for a solo person it does not make sense, can't play with the computer and drive at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Counting down the days to leave. Guess you must be anxious to get out of Dodge. I just flat out think maps, paper maps, are more fun and much more reliable.

    ReplyDelete