Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Accents

I am surrounded by people who speak funny, and I'm talking about New York accents. Actually, I love them! You don't realize the difference in NY accents unless you are here for a while, but they don't all sound alike. My grandsons even have accents, although they aren't as pronounced.

I don't think I have an accent but I probably do. I like, and feel most comfortable with a good ol' hillbilly accent, and I'm talking southeastern. Of all of them I like Kentucky the best, but them I'm a little biased in that regard.

I was talking to the grandson (the one who is worried about me dying and leaving my dog to fend for herself). I was almost sure I saw him throwing left handed at the t-ball game although he does everything else with his right hand. So I asked him, "What hand do you throw with?" He thought for a minute and responded, "I throw with the hand that doesn't have the glove on it." Now that is a good way to put it when you can't remember.

Tomorrow morning we will go to the Commissary at West Point. I hope to go back on my own in the next couple of weeks, as there are several museums on post and in the vicinity I'd like to see, plus Retired Rod mentioned a guided tour of the post.

Before I left CA you may remember I was trying to get an appointment scheduled with a hematologist, as requested by my doctor. Well I finally got a phone call from the Cancer Center (which in itself is enough to send me running in the opposite direction, but I guess that is where hematology is located). They left a voice mail informing me that they had scheduled an appointment for me this coming Monday. After spending about 17 minutes on hold, listening to screechy music, I was told that I had to speak to someone in a different department to cancel the appointment and re-schedule. They transferred my call, but I only got as far as being able to leave a voice message. I never heard back from them, so I am thinking about writing the whole thing off as I don't need to be treated this way. If they are just going to draw copious amounts of blood I don't need that either, but I will keep it in mind.

For all the advances in the medical field, patients often still get the shaft.

9 comments:

  1. Hope you figure out the need for the bloodwork. Read about your little grandson's worries. Sooo sweet! What a thoughtful kid!

    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Karen and Steve
    (Our Blog) RVing: Small House... BIG Backyard
    http://kareninthewoods-kareninthewoods.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't put off the blood work - if there's an issue, much better to find out early and take care of it. You don't want to look back and wish you had done the test. Can you have the blood work done where you are?

    I'm hanging around for a month where I am, then driving, to the tune of $160 worth of gas, to the closest Kaiser to get my final blood work done. (Dr. saw something she didn't like in the last one.) I WANT to know that everything is okay. I hope you do, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be sure to take the tour so you get to see the Cadet Chapel. That is the best part of the tour... The commander of the west point sits in the front pew and has his signature on a brass plaque. The signatures are of many famous officers that have commanded wars over the years..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like accents too and tend to pick them up especially phrases like lookit and good on you ...

    I usually get a smile with my accent... Especially with y'all or two ... ;)

    Wish I could hug your little grandson... What a cutie pie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Growing up in Rochester New york area, I understand what you mean about the accents:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kelly grew up near Rochester NY & with certain words like 'roof' I can still hear her American accent. I remember one time back in 64 getting gas in Georgia somewhere & the guy saying to me through the window, "Want me Checkall". Took me awhile to realize he was saying, "Want me to check the oil." Geeeeezzzzz.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One time when I crossed over to Canada from Detroit, the agent asked if I were from Eastern Pennsylvania, even though I had Michigan plates on my car. I said yes and he said that my accent gave me away. His hobby was guessing where people came from by their accents and he was good at it. Now that I have lived in four different widely separated states, I bet my accent is really messed up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love southern accents, every one and they are very different....Kentucky, Tennessee, Virginia, N.C, Texas all different. So are New Yorkers. At least those in the city are sure different from those up state.

    David's multiple myeloma was discovered in a routine blood test. Without that, he would have had much less chance to live another 10 years. Can't you get a closer and easier hematologist to do the blood work and interpret it? I hope you won't just skip it.

    ReplyDelete