Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Friday, May 25, 2012

Lady problems, AGAIN

Lady has definitely not been right lately, and I can trace her problems back to the time I left her at the kennel, which was a day after I put the Preventic tick collar on her. Yesterday I removed the collar and hope she will get better. She has thrown up, plus has had diharrea for the last week or so. She had an accident in the bedroom two nights ago, which has me really bummed out. Yesterday she was nearly staggering while walking down the driveway, which probably worries me more than anything.

The bottom line is that all my recent fantasies about the route I'm going to take back to CA could fall by the wayside. If she isn't better in a couple of days then I'm going to hop on the most direct and quickest route home, although I may have to find a detour around Park City and Salt Lake City, Utah, two of my least favorite places to drive through.

Now I have to get some Frontline Plus on her because the ticks are unusually thick this year after a mild winter. If any readers have experience with the Preventic collar I would like to hear them. An internet search for side effects of the product mentions allergic reactions, and I haven't noticed any except for what seems like more panting than usual. Of course the problem could be something she picked up at the kennel although I doubt it. They may have overfed her and certainly gave her too many treats. I left her own food and treats with them and nothing was returned, even though I had given a little more than what she would have needed.

I'm down to eleven more wake-ups before I leave and am getting the normal anxiety, low attention span, and a jittery feeling about everything. God, I am so ready to be going.

14 comments:

  1. Just to be safe, I wouldn't put any more meds in her system til you find out what is the matter. I think a trip to the vet is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have given up on the flea and tick collars, they just do not work well. We now give Halley a once a month pill from the vet that seems to really work and not bother her at all. It is more expensive, but then it actually works:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The staggering is prob from weakness due to the diarrhea. She should recover quickly if it's over.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi-I read your blog, never comment but am concerned for Lady. I know a lot about dog health issues. Preventic has caused serious problems with a LOT of dogs. It'sa serious poison. As are most of the other collars and meds. She's older and obviously can't tolerate this stuff. Ticks are a problem here. Try spraying her with a 50/50 solution of water and Listerine (amber original). The herbs and stuff in Listerine are a repellant to mosquitos and ticks and other bugs (really!). Ticks need to be attached for 24+ hrs before they can inject the bacteria they carry - so just check her every night until you are out of this area. I'm not a radical, but I think that the flea/tick preventatives are too poisonous and dangerous for pets and their people (read the inserts..they say don't touch the stuff but we put it on the dogs skin!). Also-try a bland diet (boiled skinless chicken mixed with cooked white rice or white macaroni and water) util her intestines calm down, then slowly add regular food back in. Or get some canned ID food from the vet. Hope she's better soon. Lynn, Kingston NY

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Anonymous. I love animals and just can't stand to see any sick or hurting. Hope Lady gets back to her old self very, very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Give her lots of liquids. Hope she gets better soon. I too would not put anymore tick chemicals on her until she is well. Check her often after going outside.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another vote for a vet and Lynn's info on those highly toxic flea and tick things. We lived in the country for 30 years and had ticks all over but every night we just sat down with the dogs and went all over their bodies and took them off. They loved the "massage". Lady deserves the best as do we all as we age.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure why but we have never had any tick or flea problems with any our dogs. I think readers have given you some good advice here but if it was me I would be hustling Lady right into the Vet for a hand's on professional diagnosis....

    ReplyDelete
  9. As others have suggested, I wouldn't use a collar. Kennel Stress is a real syndrome. You can google it, but here's a start: http://www.webvet.com/main/2008/08/18/stress-dogs-and-how-manage-it

    I think this is most probably what you are dealing with.

    Hope Little Lady feels better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way back years ago, i put just a little vinegar in my cat's water bowl. Made them repellent to the fleas and ticks. Like, 1/4 tsp, 1 c water. They can't taste it. That came from my cat book.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw hate to read this. She may very well be reacting to your stress as well.

    You won't leave before your deadline or date you selected to leave? Did I miss why you have to stay when you're so ready to leave?

    If it were me ... I'd head to the Vet .. then take off for some beautiful country .... Come join me! I'm waiting on the rain in Kalispell , Montana for the Going to the Sun Road to open June 15th.

    At least I say I am ... I get too antsy too waiting ... Not good at waiting.

    I hope you can get some stress relief soon ... I really really really hate stress. not good for no body ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol... That would be waiting IN the rain ...

      Delete
  12. I hope Lady does well for you.
    We're heading for Chicago area tomorrow, hoping to catch you on the way through. We'll be there till the 13th then going on 80 to Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do your dog a favor. No more flea tick medicine until you get home. Read the other blogs here about the fact that they are small doses of poison, that an older dog can't tolerate. She will not pickup any ticks or fleas while in the car and motel. Good luck

    ReplyDelete