Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Monday, September 5, 2011

More info about my 1963 Budger

http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/html/html/1963_budger_013104.htm

The link should direct you to the Budger info that I found in the Atlas Mobile Home Directory. There are four models pictured, and I believe mine is the 3rd one - with the two roll outs. I don't believe this home ever was made to go rolling down the highway, nor were the "roll outs" exactly like the slide-outs we are familiar with today. The entrance used to be between the 2 expanded rooms illustrated, but a previous owner removed the entrance and tried to enclose the space as an extra room. The expansion never really worked properly and it is being used as storage space now. I will decide what to do with it after I've lived in the home for a while.

The front expanded room is part of the living/dining room, and the rear expansion is the master bedroom.

For those who are interested in the history of RVing and movable homes, here is the link to the Atlas Museum:
http://www.allmanufacturedhomes.com/html/vintage_mobile_homes.htm

The collection of vintage ads goes back to 1930 and continues to 1968, plus a collection of memorabilia such as cigarette lighters and toys. I still see ads on Craigslist for the 1960 Serro Scotty, and I was looking at those ads half-seriously when I sold my truck.

The current owner said I could come over today to get some more questions answered as well as to get another good look at things I missed the first time. I took my daughter with me, hoping her memory would hold up where mine fails. I tried to photograph the paneling so that I could hold the color charts up to the photos, but they just didn't come out very well. I was planning to paint the kitchen and living room the same, but now I realize I need a medium gloss for the kitchen. The paneling in the living room is sort of shiny looking, so possibly I could just continue with the satin gloss. I'm really confused as to what I want to do and will need to get advice where I buy the paint, probably Home Depot. Everything I read seems to point to the need for a primer coat plus two top coats. Hmmm, for someone who has sworn off painting for life I'm doing a 180 on this.

The front railings can be removed to make moving furniture in and out a lot easier. If a truck is used, it can be backed right up to the steps.


You can see where the entrance door is still hanging in the area that used to be the entrance. Side entrances are only practical on a corner lot as there isn't enough space for an entrance between two units.


This side entrance opens to the carport side from the kitchen, and the trash and recycling bins are conveniently kept there.


Before leaving the Park, Jeannie and I walked over to the laundry facilities that are just across the street from my unit. It is a very nice building with shaded parking, picnic table, and a large grassy area. Inside are a large number of washers and dryers, and everything is spotless. A door leads off to a large private patio where quite a few clotheslines are strung for the use of the residents. I know where I am going to dry my sheets and towels from now on!

10 comments:

  1. Painting is a small price to pay for a new home. A few weeks ago I purchased an interior paint at Home Depot that had primer in it already. I painted knotty pine walls, it took two coats but I think it worked well. It is thicker than regular paint I think that the color is a little lighter than the color on the paint chip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not crazy about painting either but in the years we have been in our mobile I have painted every wood paneled wall in the place. Can't remeber the paint we used but I know it was two coats for sure. I cleaned all the paneling with TSP first as well. Good idea to get the painting down soon as you can while the warm weather is still around and you can leave windows open while your doing it. Did our place in a Taupe color. And we painted all the kitchen and bathroom cabinets as well with a white Melanine paint. Happy painting:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way cool!!!!! What a wonderful story about how it came to be yours. We look forward to watching how you make it your own. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you get some essential oils you like (my favorite is lavender) and put a drop or two in your paint (mix well) it really helps with the 'paint smell'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like Teri said, the paint comes with primer already added. I don't think paint smells as bad as it used too. When I bought this place last year everything was painted the same color including the ceiling. It was a dirty looking beige and floor had the same color tile. Remoinded me of a cave. The walls are paneling but it covered well. Happy decorating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dreams of new things, even if they are a little old, are wonderful dreams! And this one is coming true for you! We'll watch as you fix it up to suit yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you have found your home. You do have your work cut out. Are you going to give up RV travel altogether?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just think, no more racket from people in the upper floor. It looks like a great plan and I am happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so neat to have your own place again, Gypsy. No nasty, noisy, moldy apartment, and it is all your own. This was meant to be.

    Does it have a fenced yard for Lady?
    Not that she is used to a fenced yard!
    You are both going to love your new home.
    Happy Tails and Trails, Penny, TX

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great find Gypsy! A good quality paint is
    the way to go and Home Depot will have just what you need.

    ReplyDelete