Eastern Utah
EMAIL ME AT: mgypsy97 at aol dot com

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Another Hooray for Verizon

I visited the AT&T store this morning to order land-line service, having seen their website quoting unlimited local and long distance for $24.99, but it turned out that the cost to me would be $45, PLUS all the taxes, fees and service charges they add on. So I told them I would think about it, and drove across the street to the Verizon store.

It turns out that Verizon has a new offering - a small device that allows you to connect your land-line phone for unlimited local and long distance, but for $19.99 a month, plus the normal idiotic taxes, fees and service charges. I bought it on the spot and the salesperson even did whatever was needed to make it ready to work, and tested it to make sure it was ready to go. I came home and inserted all the batteries in my three new Uniden phones, plugged them in to charge, and connected the phone base station to the Verizon device. I called my new number from the cell phone and it worked! While I was at it I reduced the number of minutes in my Verizon cell phone plan. My intention is to make outgoing calls from the land phone, and to encourage frequent callers to use that one. I don't need all the cell phone minutes since I don't even use it all that much.

You may wonder why I have 3 Uniden phones; I wanted the Uniden brand, and they only came three phones to a box. I'm not even sure where I will put the 3rd one and I don't care to have a phone in my bedroom.

Verizon has the absolute best coverage across the country, the best customer service, and at least in the Sunrise Mall area, the best sales staff. I have never been disappointed with them. Now I will have my cell, land line, and Mifi in one bill which should make budgeting easier. They also include a printed user guide with their products, which has come in handy more than once. I like to get familiar with whatever device - cell phone, camera, etc., and then have the guide to look at to see if there is a feature I didn't realize was there. I would NEVER go to a website just to scroll through a guide for lack of something else to do, but I will pick up a booklet and give it a glance once in a while.

I just got back from the mobil home park where I signed all the paperwork, received a binder-full of information plus California civil codes that will take me a year to read, and got some questions answered. All in all it was much simpler than the apartment lease I had to deal with last year, and very much easier than the closing on a house. There are still a lot of things to do, such as transfer the DMV license to my name, notify the post office of my new address, etc.

I also received a call from a rep of the Sacramento Bee newspaper, offering me a 7-day delivery for $2 a week - that is the cost of just one Sunday paper! I agreed, mostly because the Bee has the New York Times crossword puzzle. I need to quit looking at the Sunday ads however.

7 comments:

  1. Too funny. One of the reasons I quit getting the paper was because of the Sunday ads. I always found "things and stuff" that I just really really needed. We've had Verizon for years and are really happy with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great news about verizon. I'll have to tell mom that one, it would be cheaper for her.

    Might not be a bad idea for a phone in the bedroom, just shut it off. Have it where you can reach when you need it for 911. Been there done that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a phone in my bathroom, as that is where most accidents happen in a home.
    You might need it to call 911.
    Also, isn't it when you are in the bathroom, that a call comes in?
    You can turn the ringer turned off so that you can't hear it in your bedroom, if you wish.
    Just my tuppence, (2 cents in Brit.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will you have to give up your South Dakota residence and change it to California now?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for Verizon. I have used them for several years and have been very happy with their service.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the land line information. I'd never heard of that but it's good to know.

    Sounds like things are moving right along for you. Bet you are very pleased.

    Sherry
    www.directionofourdreams.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. yay! aunt marty! i am so happy for you. now go and make the place your own. hope you have a grand time.

    ReplyDelete